What in nature has a calming effect on you? Do you find some things upsetting?

I don't get much of a calming effect from scenic surroundings - trees, a brook, flowers, etc.

But I've NEVER been able to look at any animal without smiling & being calm.

The sea, lake, any kind of water soothes me. Also, any type of ferns. When I had a greenhouse and a multi tiered patio, I had 40 ferns in pots, hanging baskets and beds. My mother actually counted them and I was surprised to know I had that many. They are so easy to grow and I naturally see a piece on the ground and put it in a pot of soil an another plant is born. I miss that so much but still have 4 pots of Boston fern on my patio.

I like to watch the snow fall in the Winter and take a brisk walk if it's not too cold. Love the sound of rain falling and the smell of the air after. Love to watch the sun rise and set. Like the feeling of a coolish breeze on a warm summer night.

Those drops of water hanging from evergreen needles and long grass in the morning just after dawn. The angle of the sun causes a prism effect and if you move slowly, side to side you get to see all the colors of the rainbow individually.

Me too..I can sit and watch an artist painting all day and just enjoy the calmness of it.especially if they have a soft gently voice as they describe what they're painting!!

I wish there were more TV shows with artists just painting and and no competitions like some of the shows here now.. just something like Bob Ross...

Put me out in the great outdoors, in any natural setting, whatsoever, and I can feel an inner peace, almost immediately. The air in Austin is terrible, getting worse, and once Janet and I get away, and into an area where the air is relatively clean, I feel so much better.

I am revisiting ths post. I know I answered about the calming things in nature, but the OP also asked about anything upsetting. I do not know if this is really considered upsetting, but since I have had the deck , I have been sitting outside a lot more. A couple weeks back I could not sleep, so about 10PM I went to sit outside. Did not turn on the light, so it was pretty dark out. I was a bit creeped out by some of the night sounds that I am not used to hearing. Maybe because I could not identify them.
One thing I noticed was no crickets. I though they were everywhere. I asked a neighbor, and he agreed..no crikets.

Falling Snow in otherwise silence with a light blanket of snow all around is most calming for me in nature as long as I'm comfortably warm. What upsets me in nature is the survival of the fittest instinct as seen on National Geographic. I can't watch it.
Falling snow in otherwise silence perfectly describes the ideal ice fishing trip. Today no ice, but I sat in a shaded spot by a local lake and fished and just listened to nature's and not people's sounds.

Soft, cool rain instead of blazing heat in Mississippi in July. That's today thanks to the remnants of TS Barry! Also love wind.

I don't like lightning close up and hate tornadic fronts. Even without the formation of a tornado, there's a primal feeling that a beast is lurking ...some sort of atavistic fear due to barometric pressure, swirly wind patterns, dewpoint levels etc.

Last edited:
Rocking on the swing on the back deck. Nothing is as calming as that back and forth, gentle movement...looking up at the trees and sky.
Life is good!

The far outback south australia camping at a sheep station no noise except for sheep, birds, and running water in the creeks when they have had rain, and the beautiful stary nights, and no mobile phone cover.

Back