What Is It? - #10

SifuPhil

R.I.P. With Us In Spirit Only
Since my last What Is It? - #9 was identified so quickly I feel I have to restore my honor and give you folks a toughie.

This little baby was made in Buffalo, New York by a company that's been in business since 1861. The photograph I've included here was from their 1954 catalog, where the item had a retail cost of between $15 - $22.

mystery0624.jpg

What Is It?

#9 was EASY??? I was clueless . . . as I an with this, too. Again, it appears to be some kind of a thing...

Well, #9 wasn't easy but Lady TWH got it instantly.

... and I'm NOT in the game to LOSE!

anger_zps5e682b00.png

But you're right so far - it IS some kind of a thing ... keep going, folks ...

Looks like the bent end is for gripping something and maybe that cube thing slides up to secure whatever is being gripped and the big ring is . . . just for decoration...

Is it something for use on a boat?? A farm?? For automobiles??

On a farm or in a town, yes. You could use it on a boat or a car, however.

Looks like the bent end is for gripping something and maybe that cube thing slides up to secure whatever is being gripped and the big ring is . . . just for decoration...

*BBBZZZZZZZZ* I'm sorry, that's not the answer we're looking for, but you HAVE won a copy of "What Is It? - The Home Game" !

Errr; something to do with making fencing?? barbed wire??

Nope, sorry - nothing with fencing.

I think it is something to weight a sack of whatever.

DINGDINGDINGDING !!!

I'm going to say that's the correct answer because it's SO close that the differences are negligible.

It is a Grain Tester.

Here is the catalog description:

"The Buffalo Grain Tester is constructed so that when the cup is empty the beam balances with the poise set at zero. There are upon the beam three rows of marks which indicate respectively:

1st The number of pounds a sample will weigh to the bushel
2nd The exact weight of sample
3rd The per cent of loss after cleaning. "

Capacity on their scales ranges from 1/2 pint to 2 quarts.

buffaloscales.jpg

And how the scale is attached to the bucket of grain, taken from the company catalog ...

buffaloscalescatalog.jpg

Nice playing, folks! :D

Back