What is less than 7?

JaniceM

Only the most recent example of what I consider the locale's weird speech:

On the news, a local store was reported to have covid among some of its employees.
Someone from the store said it's not too much of a concern, because "less than seven" employees were positive for the virus.

What would you take "less than seven" to mean? Six? Two? Undetermined and they don't want to say? :rolleyes:
And wouldn't you consider this type of wording to be odd?

On the news, a local store was reported to have covid among some of its employees.
Someone from the store said it's not too much of a concern, because "less than seven" employees were positive for the virus.

What would you take "less than seven" to mean? Six? Two? Undetermined and they don't want to say? :rolleyes:
Totally odd! 🤪

I agree with C'est Moi. Perhaps there is a group of six individuals, some known to have the virus, others suspected but not yet confirmed. As a native midwesterner that's how I'd interpret it.

I'm wondering why the person feels "it's not too much of a concern". :rolleyes:

I have a bit of a different take. I think that "less than seven" sounds somewhat less threatening than just saying 6 people have tested positive. It's somewhat ambiguous and leaves one to draw ones own conclusion, sort of diffusing the fact that THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH COVID IN THE STORE!!!!

I mean, clearly the reporter? is trying to minimize the concern. He even says so! So reporting the outbreak in a way that sounds less threatening just makes sense.

Nothing anyone is saying about the virus anymore makes any sense ..... and remember this world-wide pandemic started with ONE person in China.

Back