What is something you remember

I’m a retired mailman and when I started, I drove one of these quite often! 😁

jeep_usps_rs_lg.jpg

That logo though was the old eagle way back then though.

I remember as a young man working and needing a lunch, walk into the common cafe and set my bucket on the counter. didnt even have to ask, the waitress took the bucket opened it cleaned the thermos, filled it with coffee and asked what kind of samich i liked and i said anything and got an apple left a buck fifty tip and went to work!

oneeyeddiva, that tape looks to be 5 level baudit the same we used in the navy and I learned to read the holes, later it was 8 level ascii even number

To pull my zipper up after putting on my pants. Nothing like walking around for a half of a day and meeting several people and finally someone tells you to "zip it."

Hey! I had a couple of these View-Masters over the years when I was young. I remember having pictures of the Grand Canyon and also photos of Hollywood stars. I seem to remember Marilyn Monroe and Jane Mansfield. As a little country boy, I was pretty impressed. You pulled the lever down and a new picture appeared. Pretty big deal in the 1950s for a country kid.

Hey! I had a couple of these View-Masters over the years when I was young. I remember having pictures of the Grand Canyon and also photos of Hollywood stars. I seem to remember Marilyn Monroe and Jane Mansfield. As a little country boy, I was pretty impressed. You pulled the lever down and a new picture appeared. Pretty big deal in the 1950s for a country kid.
We had a couple of View-Masters in our home when I was growing up, and there was everything from Disney, to a host of other images.

Definitely one of the best toys I remember.

The milk delivery truck. Do you folks remember these? We still had home delivery in glass bottles when I was little.

View attachment 168914
I totally remember milk delivery and milk trucks, Chic!

I remember the trucks that the men drove had slide doors in them, which they kept open almost all of the time, because it enabled them to get in and out on either side of the truck, and all were so friendly.

We always waved to them when they drove by, and aside from a little toot-toot on the horn, sometimes they'd stop and talk with us kids for a few minutes.

Brings back such warm memories to a time when life was more laid-back and relaxed, and people were less stressed. Reminds me of life in Mayberry (think Andy Griffith), or Cabot Cove (think Murder She Wrote).

There's a lot to be said for those old days, and it tells us a lot as to how employment today has changed and upset the fundamentals of family life as you and I knew it. There was balance back then, and it showed in how content, friendly, and caring people were.

To dovetail into Chic's, post on milk trucks and delivery, I remember Diaper Service & Delivery.

We didn't have it in our home with my baby siblings, but other neighbours did, and when I worked as a mothers helper for a foster-care mom that lived down the street from us in my teen years, the mother occasionally signed up for diaper service and delivery when she had multiple little ones in her care, because she couldn't keep up with all of the washing and drying.

Twice weekly the diaper service truck would come by and pick up the dirty diapers (diaper pail and all) and leave a fresh clean sanitized diaper pail full of freshly laundered diapers inside.

My guess is it was more economical than Pampers at the time, because the mother was on a tight budget. A happy-medium between traditional home-laundering and the cost of disposables.

diaper-service.jpg

I remember the pumping sound our old water pump made while pumping water from the well house.

I remember the crackling and popping sound certain wood made in the old stone fireplace in the living room.

I remember the steady clacking on the wheels of the train I would take to Utica to visit my Dad. The noise the steam whistle made as we approached each small station on the way.

At a difficult time in my life, I remember the strange noises my grandpa would make when he came home drunk. It was very scary at the time but as time went on, he stopped drinking and turned into one sweet guy. I love you grandpa. RIP

I remember the frogs singing in harmony when we stayed at camp at Plymouth Reservoir. The bass frogs would start and then the tenors chimed in and later the peepers started their two cent worth. The hoot, hoot of the old owl always added to the fiasco. I would lie there and try to identify each sound.

I remember the sound when you opened a glass bottle of soda on the openers that screwed to the wall. Pop, sizz and a big gulp. I wonder how many people today know what a church key is?

I remember the sound of kicking the can made under the street lights on Gold St. We boys would play this game many a night until our moms would call us in.

I remember the moans and groans in the movies us kids made when the cowboy hero kissed his gal. We did not want to see that mushy stuff. After all, he was our champion along with his horse. I remember the giggling us boys made at the Abbott and Costello movies or Ma and Pa Kettle.

Back