What is this machine used for?

NancyNGA

This is not a quiz. I don't have a clue. Thought someone here would know. It is sitting rusting and gathering dust out in my father's garage.

There is a motor with a belt attached to a cylinder in the center that evidently spins. The thing that looks kinda like a bicycle seat swivels out toward the front.

machine1_zpspfgxx3xz.gif

The bar running the length of the thing apparently tilts, because there is an angle gauge at the top of this picture.

machine3_zps0czrmeov.gif

machine2_zpscxdkdwnf.gif

I a planner for planning down wood......I use mine for making window extensions and door jams and on rough pieces of wood before sanding

Looks like an old planer to me. My father was a hobby wood worker and made some very nice items as he was a perfectionist. As a child I would go down in the basement and watch him make things and learned quite a lot as he would take the time to explain what he was doing. He has now passed on but our family has a lot of exquisite furniture and other household items in our homes. :love_heart:

It IS a Jointer...used primarily to plane the narrow sides of a piece of wood. Its larger cousin, the Planer...is for smoothing to wider pieces of wood. I have both in my workshop. If in doubt, look up both tools on a home improvement store web site....Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

Back