What is this Sepsis?

Actually, I assumed (probably mistakenly) that the Lantus was not the only insulin she was taking. She would need a fast-acting insulin with meals, of course.
Yes, my doctor explained that any serious infection can cause blood sugar to spike to deadly levels in a diabetic. It can be quite a train wreck - The infection leads to sepsis & the sepsis can cause high sugar which often leads to diabetic ketoacidosis. Once that happens, NOTHING stays down, so eating is impossible.
Her family doctor has her taking shots of Lantus at night only because I give them to her.

The day she went in the hospital she couldn't keep any food down and was having bad diarrhea. I wonder if the hospital knows what they are doing because they said she had a twisted intestine and appendicitis. Then they came back with this Sepsis condition and put her on these pills Pantoprazole.
Looks like doctors misdiagnosed her. She should be wearing a medical I.D. bracelet; that would likely make medical personnel test her blood sugar first.
My mom had appendicitis & doctors diagnosed gas & sent her home twice with gas pills. I had a big argument in the ER with doctors who were clueless - even when I pointed out the big swelling on her right side that was visible under her nightgown. The delay almost killed her; her appendix burst as they were getting her ready for surgery. And the spreading infection made a second surgery necessary to remove a section of colon.

I keep putting 😲 reactions to the remarks on this thread. It's truly one shocking comment after another.
@Robert59, we will all keep a good thought for your GF. Please keep us posted.
@win231 and @Pepper, thank you for your valuable insight on diabetes.
@Lewkat, are you from the medical field? Your comments are likewise very helpful when it comes to understanding this thread.

Yes, StarSong, I am a Registered Nurse and attained a Masters in Psychology from the University of Maryland. My last position was a Clinical Instructor in Prenatal Septic Trauma, at now, NY Presbyterian Hospital, formerly Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. When I retired, I did some occasional relief work at a local hospital in NJ in medical surgical fields, just to keep myself informed. I was originally and O.R. nurse, but advanced degrees let to more lucrative positions. I was also an AF nurse in the 50s with almost a year of flight experience. While theoretically the shooting was over in Korea, and I never saw the place, I am a Korean War Vet.

She back in the hospital again today with intestine blockage.
Now again she out because of her own will. Hospital can't make her stay they said. What could happen if she started eating everything again with a intestine blockage? This is what I have to deal with a person with bi-polar and can't make up her mind to stay or not.

She went to her family doctor and he checked her out for intestine blockage and didn't find anything wrong but did find her blood sugar avg at 400 and raised her Lantus insulin up to 39 units a day. and is making her write down her Blood sugar meter tests four times a day.
I don't know if you're aware of it, but Lantus does not lower blood sugar with meals. Lantus is a slow-acting insulin that is used to maintain blood sugar over a 24-hour period & it has no peak. The purpose of Lantus is to try to mimic a non diabetic's production of slow-acting insulin.
What she needs is a fast-acting insulin with meals - like Humalog, Humulin or Novolin to prevent blood sugar spikes that occur when eating - especially when eating carbohydrates, which we need to eat.

Example: Before bed last night, I tested my blood sugar as I usually have to do. It was 205 (for me, that's just about right for safe sleep) & took my usual 20 Units of Lantus. When I woke up this morning, I tested at 221. That's actually around the same because glucose meters typically have a 15% error rate. The Lantus prevented a big blood sugar spike while I was sleeping - like 300-400 which occurs without it. Diabetics learn they need Lantus by spending a few nights testing blood sugar every couple of hours when they would normally be sleeping & not eating - between midnight & 8am. If they note spikes, they learn that they need a slow-acting insulin.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're aware of it, but Lantus does not lower blood sugar with meals. Lantus is a slow-acting insulin that is used to maintain blood sugar over a 24-hour period & it has no peak. The purpose of Lantus is to try to mimic a non diabetic's production of slow-acting insulin.
What she needs is a fast-acting insulin with meals - like Humalog, Humulin or Novolin to prevent blood sugar spikes that occur when eating - especially when eating carbohydrates, which we need to eat.

Example: Before bed last night, I tested my blood sugar as I usually have to do. It was 205 (for me, that's just about right for safe sleep) & took my usual 20 Units of Lantus. When I woke up this morning, I tested at 221. That's actually around the same because glucose meters typically have a 15% error rate. The Lantus prevented a big blood sugar spike while I was sleeping - like 300-400 which occurs without it. Diabetics learn they need Lantus by spending a few nights testing blood sugar every couple of hours when they would normally be sleeping & not eating - between midnight & 8am. If they note spikes, they learn that they need a slow-acting insulin.
Thank you for the information.

Back