What Kind of Bread(s) Do You Purchase or Bake?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
My taste in bread and my dietary needs have made me switch breads over the years. I have not bought white bread in a very long time. For one thing it caused me stomach problems and now with diabetes it's not good for me.

For a long time I was getting wheat bread but kind of tired of it. The last 3 breads I've bought are Sprouted Power, Jewish Rye and Whole Grain which happens to be wheat-I haven't tried it yet but hope it will be better than the last wheat bread I had-it's Pepperidge Farm so maybe it will be better. I thought it was 12 grain but made a mistake getting it. I do also like the 7, 12, and 15 grain breads with seeds too. I've read that seeds are important in our diets. I like the taste of seeded breads, too.

sjr3.jpg

pfwg.jpeg

tqPcPif.png

So what kind of breads do you get or bake?

I always loved bread but with celiac disease I can't eat it anymore and the store bought gluten free breads are so expensive and don't taste very good.
I've made my own from time to time and it is good toasted but it gets very mushy if used for a sandwich.
For my hubby I buy Maier's white bread.
Sometimes Pepperidge Farm just for a change.

I like them all and the better they are the more I eat! 🐷

Because I have to watch my blood sugar I look for high fiber breads with as little added sugar as possible.

Some of the low carb 40 calorie breads are great but they tend to be a little bit pricey. I manage that by purchasing some items at the dead bread store down the street from my home.

I also buy the whole wheat bread from the Dollar Tree and try to use a bit less of it.

I wish that I could learn to live without bread but I’m pretty sure that it will never happen.

Also haven't eaten store bought bread in a while. Bought the Wheat Belly book a few months ago and made a muffin recipe from it using the following: almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, flax seeds, cinnamon, salt, egg, water, oil (and I add some rice cereal that has pumpkin seeds in it). It comes out dark, and it fills me up. Will try other recipes in it.

I love bread.. the more artisan the better. I always have Malted wholemeal sliced bread in the freezer for daily use.. and occasionally I buy sliced white because there's no bread that tastes as nice when you make French toast than good soft white bread,and I often buy raisin and cinnamon bread to eat for brunch.. although it does give me heartburn... .. but believe me I just love bread so long as it's super fresh... in Spain I eat a sliced bread called 7 semillas. ( 7 seeds for anyone who doesn't know basic Spanish)

Currently I'm loving the 3 cheese bloomer loaf that I can buy at the Supermarket instore Bakery

image.jpg

then there's this trio of Olive , bread, which is delicious with salad and olive oil..
snapshotimagehandler_1558607496.jpeg

I don't! Bread is fattening.
If I were not all alone and had someone to cook for, I'd make sourdough bread all the time! and cinnamon rolls!
Once in a while, I'll have a slice of garlic bread with dinner, but that's it!
Darn!
Eaten by serving size only it is not fattening. I always look at the labels on bread and eat it according to serving size, that way I can have bread every day and I am a big bread lover!!

I love bread.. the more artisan the better. I always have Malted wholemeal sliced bread in the freezer for daily use.. and occasionally I buy sliced white because there's no bread that tastes as nice when you make French toast than good soft white bread,and I often buy raisin and cinnamon bread to eat for brunch.. although it does give me heartburn... .. but believe me I just love bread so long as it's super fresh... in Spain I eat a sliced bread called 7 semillas. ( 7 seeds for anyone who doesn't know basic Spanish)

Currently I'm loving the 3 cheese bloomer loaf that I can buy at the Supermarket instore Bakery

image.jpg

then there's this trio of Olive , bread, which is delicious with salad and olive oil..
snapshotimagehandler_1558607496.jpeg
Those breads you mentioned sound to die for! lol, I'd like to try that Trio of Olive Bloomer especially!

I'm spoiled because the local Panera Bread sends over to my senior apartment building their day-old bread once a week. There isn't anything they make that I don't love, with the exception of their oatmeal loaf and their carrot loaf.

I especially enjoy their bagels, bread bowls, cheese rolls, baguettes, and french bread loaves.

I dunno if like me when you open your sliced bread up.. you use the tag to seal it again, or twist the ends and hope it stays closed or , even use a clip... but have you ever tried closing up your bread like this.. which is the way I do it now...simply twist the bread closed again and fold the remaining back back over the remaining bread...thus

I dunno if like me when you open your sliced bread up.. you use the tag to seal it again, or twist the ends and hope it stays closed or , even use a clip... but have you ever tried closing up your bread like this.. which is the way I do it now...simply twist the bread closed again and fold the remaining back back over the remaining bread...thus

I like that. I'll give it a try.

Whatever their bread making secrets are in Europe, I want to know them. We had bread 3 times per day. We noticed that people there weren’t overweight like here.
It's no secret that food producers in the US use fattening corn sugar as a preservative and flavor enhancer.

I used to make most of our bread, years ago when the kids were little, but it's hard on my back. I found that quick breads can be very versatile. I use quick bread recipes to make muffins, cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, and savory dumplings (and of course, biscuits). Home made persimmon bread was a favorite this time of year, but persimmons are hard to find, especially ones that are meaty and on the tender side.

I buy potato bread, Sheepherders bread, and just about any kind of seeded or nut loafs.

I love using the gallon ziplock bags to store my muffins (and other things). They last longer in there, and I can freeze them.
I freeze any bread or muffin if it's been out more than a few days to preserve freshness. I can also reuse the bag afterward.

Back