What kinds of Cheese do you like?

I eat lots of dairy and have plenty of cheese in my fridge. For today's lunch had one of those cheap $1 Knorr Lipton Rice Sides broccoli cheese packages so feel a bit bloated.

Ok, here is one of the Secrets of the Universe...

Like many supermarkets, Trader Joe's sells Aged Gouda cheese. Currently I have a 0.64 pound chunk of plastic vacuum sealed Old Amsterdam Premium Aged Gouda cheese I bought for $7.67 so about a buck an ounce. Note aged Gouda (pronounced "How-da") is heavy and a bit hard. It does not taste like regular Gouda. Years ago I began bringing it along on backpacking trips because it can last well at room temperatures for a couple weeks without becoming moldy. That is a reason our ancestors before refrigeration often made aged cheeses that they then stored for longer periods in dry cool shadowed places they could travel with. An intense somewhat cheddar nut-like like flavor. The only way I eat it given its expense is in small pieces and nibbling that goes good with sipping wine.

th

Couple of the Amazon reviews:

Ok listen ! This is without a shred of doubt the greatest cheese in the world ! Its incredibly delicious, amazing texture and flavor and highly addicting ! Im telling you its a gem of cheese ! Grab some crackers and have at it you wont be able to stop.

My husband and I killed this cheese block so fast. It is delicious. It’s a type of aged Gouda. It’s firm but not too firm and salty in the best way possible. Yummm.

I LOVE cheese! I have to watch how much I eat it that's how much I love it. Swiss cheese is my favorite. A close second is the hot pepper cheese. Havarti is great and so is strong cheddar. What kinds do you like?
Too many to list. 😊 Here are a few of my favorites ...

Extra Sharp Aged Cheddar
10 Year Extra Sharp Cheddar 1lb

Pastore
Pastore Mitica® | Italian cheese, Queso cheese, Milk and cheese

Pastore is a relatively hard cheese made from sheep's milk that comes from the Lazio area of Italy.

Pecorino Pientino
2581_immagine_0_ant.jpg

The cheeses produced with sheep milk are called Pecorino. Pecorino is one of the most ancient cheeses: In Italy there's a great variety of these, produced in different regions, mostly in the central and southern ones and in the islands (Sardinia and Sicily). The differentiates for the kind of milk, the processing techniques and the rennet used.

The fresh pecorino has a delicate taste, while the aged ones have more intense aromatic and taste notes. The pecorino is ideal mostly for fist courses such as spaghetti alla carbonara, bucatini all'amatriciana or the cacio e pepe spaghetti. It pairs very well with chestnut honey, served in slices with homemade bread.

Dolcelatte
Dolcelatte

Dolcelatte is an Italian blue-veined cheese that was initially produced by the Galbani Company. The cheese is made from cow's milk and matures for 2 to 3 months. It's produced in the same way as Gorgonzola, but Dolcelatte is made from the curd of just one milking, making it a bit harder.

Its texture is soft and creamy, and the flavors are mild, slightly tangy, and sweet. Originally, Dolcelatte was produced for the British market to give the people a milder alternative to Gorgonzola. It's recommended to serve the cheese with figs and grapes and pair it with a glass of Merlot or Port.

Ricotta Salada
Ricotta Salata Mitica® - Forever Cheese

This ricotta starts off with fresh sheep’s milk whey, which is pressed, salted and then aged to achieve its firm texture and briny taste. Similar to feta, Ricotta Salata is excellent crumbled, sliced into salads or used in dishes like pasta alla norma.

Bella ✌️

I eat lots of dairy and have plenty of cheese in my fridge. For today's lunch had one of those cheap $1 Knorr Lipton Rice Sides broccoli cheese packages so feel a bit bloated.

Ok, here is one of the Secrets of the Universe...

Like many supermarkets, Trader Joe's sells Aged Gouda cheese. Currently I have a 0.64 pound chunk of plastic vacuum sealed Old Amsterdam Premium Aged Gouda cheese I bought for $7.67 so about a buck an ounce. Note aged Gouda (pronounced "How-da") is heavy and a bit hard. It does not taste like regular Gouda. Years ago I began bringing it along on backpacking trips because it can last well at room temperatures for a couple weeks without becoming moldy. That is a reason our ancestors before refrigeration often made aged cheeses that they then stored for longer periods in dry cool shadowed places they could travel with. An intense somewhat cheddar nut-like like flavor. The only way I eat it given its expense is in small pieces and nibbling that goes good with sipping wine.

th

Couple of the Amazon reviews:

Ok listen ! This is without a shred of doubt the greatest cheese in the world ! Its incredibly delicious, amazing texture and flavor and highly addicting ! Im telling you its a gem of cheese ! Grab some crackers and have at it you wont be able to stop.

My husband and I killed this cheese block so fast. It is delicious. It’s a type of aged Gouda. It’s firm but not too firm and salty in the best way possible. Yummm.
Gouda is very common here.. it's a pleasant if very mild cheese... it's one of the cheapest cheeses to buy

That's a new one on me. I didn't know you could freeze cheese! :)
I found frozen mozzarella crumbles into small bits, great to put on pizza. I assume some other cheeses will do the same. Not only that, but I like medium chedder, gouda, cottage cheese of course. DH likes sharper cheeses.

Baby Swiss
After immigrating to the United States, Swiss settlers arrived in Green County, Wisconsin, in the 1840s. With its rolling hills and lush valleys, the area reminded them of their homeland. More importantly, the microclimate and limestone-filtered water were perfect for raising cows that would produce the superior milk needed to make their prized 200-pound wheels of Emmenthal (aka Emmental cheese or traditional Swiss).

Muenster
Muenster or munster is a semi-soft cheese from the United States. It is thought to be an imitation of the Alsatian washed-rind Munster cheese, introduced by German immigrants. It is distinct from the processed dairy food Sweet Muenster Cheese

Thanks folks for your recommendations and descriptions. I'm going to be trying some of these and then report back. Although I drink little alcohol, I do like sweet wines that I'll need to buy for these experiments. There is a large variety of expensive cheeses in upscale supermarkets today that I would like to sample were they not so expensive. So quite a mystery. Reading reviews of cheeses, it is difficult to clearly understand from mere words as to what specific cheeses will taste like as our human taste sense tends to vary greatly, especially with those that dine on various ethnic foods.

David, if you go to an upscale cheese shop, they should offer you a sample taste of anything you're interested in before buying it. If they don't offer, just ask them nicely for a taste. 🙂

Last edited:
I like Extra Sharp Cheddar. Sometimes, I also like the really rotten-tasting Goat cheese.
I watched cheese being made on a TV show & I thought, "YUK, I can't believe I like that."
I just remembered another TV show. People were tasting a cheese that's actually made with the same bacteria/fungus that grows between our toes. :oops:

Thanks @Bella. Although there are gourmet cheese and wine shops here in San Jose, all are actually pricy wine focused restaurants. But since I often drive up to San Francisco, just checked Yelp and not surprisingly there are actually a few cheese and wine retail shops. So will be doing a bit of exploring there in the future. Of course, I always see many Italians up in The City. Also will need to read up on the world of cheeses.

Haven't met a cheese I didn't like, I am a real cheese lover. Well I guess I don't like what's sold as "American" cheese, just yellow and kind of tasteless. And I don't believe veleta is really cheese, no matter I don't like it.

Really like an aged sharp cheddar, gorgonzola, raclette, Tete De Moine, Parmigiano Reggiano... the list could go on and on.

Back