What Rifles or Pistols Are You Using for Hunting or Shooting?

IKE, Just wanted to let you know I went ahead and bought a Mossberg "Home Defense" Maverick 88, 12 gauge pump shotgun. I'm sure you know it's the low end model but I really like the feel and look of it. I'm hoping to get out and shoot it soon.

Thanks again for your help. :encouragement:

Glad I was able to help you locate what you were looking for Davey.

I don't keep a loaded shotgun for home protection instead I've got 'loaded' .38 Special revolvers, or .357 Mag revolvers loaded with .38 Specials, scattered here and there in the house.

Why the .38 Special round and revolvers vs semi-autos you may ask ?......the wife has always liked shooting a .38 revolver, compared to semi-autos, and if it's ever needed I want her to be able to reach for and find something that she is both familiar and feels comfortable with.

there is an advantage to revolvers , especially because most folks do not train removing safty's under stress .

the biggest advantage is that they will always go bang , never jam and can be fired discretely from a pocket .

i once slipped on my robe to investigate a commosion one night in front of our door . slipped a hammer less 640 in the pocket and no one knew i had a firearm that could fire through the pocket repeatedly

I found an "ideal" home defense firearm, years ago. It is an Intratec tec 9....a lightweight, easy to handle, 9mm with a 32 round clip....a poor man's Uzi. With one quick motion, 32 rounds of rapid fire is available. One doesn't need to be a "marksman" to quickly dispatch a threat in a "home" environment.

*one bad guy yelling to another*........"Holy crap Zeke ole Don has got him one of them thar Tech 9's that hold a butt load of bullets, let's get the hell outta here." :D

there is an advantage to revolvers , especially because most folks do not train removing safty's under stress .

the biggest advantage is that they will always go bang , never jam and can be fired discretely from a pocket .

i once slipped on my robe to investigate a commosion one night in front of our door . slipped a hammer less 640 in the pocket and no one knew i had a firearm that could fire through the pocket repeatedly

Many, many moons ago I had a pro revolver firearms instructor tell me, "there are two types of semi-auto handgun owners, those that have experienced a malfunction / jam and those that someday will."

Now don't get me wrong I love my 45 ACP M1911's and semi-auto rifles and handguns in .22 LR but I will admit that through the years I have had a few malfunctions and I wouldn't want a malfunction to happen when I really needed my weapon.

Like the ole die hard instructor quoted above I just trust a revolver more to function when needed than I do a semi-auto which is why I conceal carry a S & W 642 as opposed to something like a small semi-auto in 9mm.

Grew up on a farm and hunted from the time I was old enough to lug the old Iver Johnson single-shot .410 to the pasture. Developed quite an interest in firearms, working with various ballistic facts specific to different weapons. Ended up in the early 70's getting my own Federal Firearms License and had a large collection of firearms. Reloaded for most all of them. Had an RCBS Rock Chucker press for the center fire rounds. A Pacific turret style reloader handle my shotshell ammo.

Iver Johnson single-shot .410
Marlin .22 lever action
S&W K15 Combat Masterpiece .38 Special
.257 Weatherby Magnum, handpicked from Roy Weatherby's stock
.25-06 Sako
.243 BLR
Winchester Model 94 chambered for .44 Magnum
S&W Model 29 chambered for .44 Magnum
Winchester Model 94 chambered for 30/30
S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum
S&W Model 66 .357 Magnum
Multiple Ithaca Model 37 shotguns in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge
Multiple Remington Model 870 shotguns in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge
Winchester Model 97 12 gauge... the most dangerous shotgun ever made for the shooter!
Winchester Model 12 12 gauge
Browning Auto 5 in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge
Browning "Sweet 16"

Those are the most memorable ones.. except for...

I had a Belgian made Browning Auto 5 in a Browning hard case with all three barrels... 30 full, 28 modified, and 26 IC. Came with all the original instructions books, etc. Had never been fired. I bought this just a few months after Browning ceased manufacture in Belgium and moved it to Japan. Kept it for about 10 years and finally sold it for a pittance compared to what I could get for it today.

Took a job in working out on the road in the early 80's. Didn't have time to reload, hunt, or shoot. If I would have come home on weekends and told the wife I was going hunting, she probably would have told me to find another place to live. So, I began divesting myself of all the firearms and reloading supplies. I did keep the K15 Combat Masterpiece for a few years. Ended up trading it at a pawn shop for my first set of golf clubs. Have never owned another firearm.

When I do see shotguns and rifles in stores, today, they all seem to have evolved to synthetic stocks. All mine were back when stocks were made of "real wood". The Weatherby was so beautiful. Could almost see yourself in the finish. The Belgian Auto 5 was beautiful walnut with gold trigger and gold inlay for the stamping.

Had so many Ithaca Model 37's due to the bottom ejection. I am ambidextrous. Hunting, I would carry a while right handed and carry a while left handed. Shooting left handed, I didn't have to worry about the empty hulls flying by my nose. I also liked the Raybar front sight on the 37's and installed them on a number of the 870's I owned.

I think the gun Ina has is a pretty good gun for an older person to use for self defense, it's a wheel gun and it has a laser sight on it, in 38spl which is easy to shoot. Another thing if you can have one where you live is to have a dog, even a small one that can see, hear and smell why better than you can, as a alert system! Also, people like to carry pepper spray for self defense, well as of late I have come across more than one article saying that Wasp [that;s right Wasp] spray is more effective than pepper spray in stopping an attacker and will cause temporary blindness. Again the laser sight is likely more important the what kind of gun you have, as you need to hit what your shooting at. I got a LaserMax for an LC9 Ruger 9mm that I bought and like them so well that I have three guns with them, for being on target in a slit second you can't beat it! Especially in low light situations.

Don M
looks like or path have been a lot alike. The last deer I shot was tangled up in barbwire and that was about 3 years ago. I've got a lot of deer running around here. I let people hunt on my land until someone shoot 2 of my calves and that came to an end a few years back. The 300 mag sounds nice, rumor says army is testing the 300 mag for a sniper rifle. I was a sniper/sniper instructor in the early 80's. we trained everyone on any type of weapon, from national guard to SWAT teams. I've shoot competition (2 silver and a bronze).
A lot of people don't believe me then I tell them armadillos are carriers of leprosy. (non-contagious type)

by the tag it has to be 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 explosives. the symbel above the word "explosive" makes it one those. 1.4 is normally ammunition.
is there a circle with UN in the circle

Don M
looks like or path have been a lot alike. The last deer I shot was tangled up in barbwire and that was about 3 years ago. I've got a lot of deer running around here. I let people hunt on my land until someone shoot 2 of my calves and that came to an end a few years back. The 300 mag sounds nice, rumor says army is testing the 300 mag for a sniper rifle. I was a sniper/sniper instructor in the early 80's. we trained everyone on any type of weapon, from national guard to SWAT teams. I've shoot competition (2 silver and a bronze).
A lot of people don't believe me then I tell them armadillos are carriers of leprosy. (non-contagious type)

I encourage our deers to "prosper". This Winter, I put out about 300lbs of corn for them, to keep them going while the vegetation was sparse. They are good neighbors, and if things ever went to pot, they could be a food source. I set up a couple of motion sensor sprinklers every Summer to keep them out of my garden, so we co-exist nicely.

I can see where the Army would consider using a .300 mag sniper rifle. With a little practice, my Browning BAR could probably "reach out and touch someone" at a distance of 1/2 mile, or more.

Armadillos DO carry Leprosy...in their blood. I watched a show once on Discovery Life Channel, where some young guy had killed an armadillo, and got some blood on his hands while handling the carcass. It wasn't long before he had the symptoms, and by the time the doctors were able to diagnose the disease, he was in miserable shape, and took months to recover....with scars and side effects for the rest of his life.

I have three guns. A .380 and 9mm, both Kel-Tecs. I also have a sweet 1950s Beretta .22 auto. Too heavy to carry canceled. My .380 fits in my pocket holster just fine. Speaking of holsters, I have a drawer full of different styles and types.

I've got a couple of revolvers. A Ruger GP 100 in Blue Steel with the 4 inch barrel and adjustable sights and a Smith and Wesson Model 60 J frame in .38 special.

I've owned several 1911's in .45 ACP in the past because I really like the way they look and feel. However I ended up selling them because they are a bit too bulky for personal carry which I use my .38 snub for and I wasn't all that accurate with them for shooting at the range which is what I use the Ruger for. Besides that I mostly reload my own ammunition for practice shooting and I don't want to be bothered with sorting and trimming cases which you really have to do with an automatic if you want to avoid jamming. Revolvers on the other hand are very forgiving in that regard.

I still have all my reloading tools but I've gotten away from going to the range. In fact I think I've only fired one round from my Ruger in the past 5 years. That was into an old computer hard drive I was getting ready to throw away. I didn't rely on just shooting it though. Before that I overwrote eveything on it about 7 times with Eraser, then beat the heck out of it with a three pound hammer. Then I shot it with my .357.

I'm pretty much on the far left politically.

But I don't believe in gun control at all.

I probably should live in Vermont.

I like their politics, and I like their gun laws which amounts to "No permit? No Problem!":)

I don't hunt or shoot and don't own a gun of any kind. I have no problem with those that do.

Awww, come on! Just try it, Lon...you can start with a .22 pistol! Target shooting is fun!

I have an 11-meter target range set up in my garage. The bullets are captured in an armored basket; .22's or Airgun Pellets only.

Just clip on a Target and you're set!

See Pic:

HiDesertHal

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 29
Ruger Vaquero Single Action in .45 Long Colt. Usually carry when working in woods on back of our property, Black Bear and Cougar in our area. The rifle is a Savage in 22-250 with 10-40 x 55mm Scope. Sighted in at 250 yards. I enjoy Groundhog Hunting and really enjoy those longer range shots, out to 600 yards. Too much compensation for drop after 600 yards and the speed of the bullet starts to fall below the Speed of Sound past 600 yards which allows for the Groundhog to flinch and run before the bullet hits him. I need to get a nice .308 or .300 WinMag for some real long range shots, but happy with what I have.

IMG_20170728_195639793.jpgIMG_20170728_195747938.jpg

---------
I hunt with 'bout everything--- love my crossbows and re curves( excalibur xbow 2 ,, and original damnon howatt recurve),,first of season, then muzzlLloader (WHITE MTN STOCK WITH GREENMOUNTAIN BARRELL).
My favorite is bow season for deer.
Best gun for squirrel is 1972 Remington 552 speed master rifle and for shotgun 1972 remington 1100 barrell cut to 21 inches with extra full or modified choke tubes.
Growing up in east Tennessee we had little exotic game 'cept wild hogs,, now they have turned into a nuisance!
Handguns--I'm a "wheel man" due to the fact that revolvers is all I was trained on( 2 police academy s in the late 70's),and they handle so many different loads. 1 1946 S&W K frame,,,1 1970 model 19 S&W .357mag
1 new in box (before I got it) 1972 S&W model 18 cal 22 with the 3 t's.....Did I mention I like S&W short guns??

What a difference experience makes. When I first arrived in Alaska i bought a Taurus 'raging bull' 454 Casull when I started to apprentice as a hunting guide, because I thought the bigger the better for tracking bears. When i left Alaska I had by my cabin door a Mossberg 500 shotgun and on the shelf a 357 magnum for bear protection a 9mm assault rifle and a 9mm automatic for people protection. Took the photo below for one of my blog postings.
flag:cross:gun blog.jpg

My hunting days are over. I have a friend that owns over 85 pistols and rifles. I think he entered every gun rifle that came around. He also bought many of his guns just because.

Back