What Supplements, Herbs or Vitamins Do You Take On A Daily Basis?

CR, you really should be asking a doctor these questions. For instance, I heard too much turmeric can be harmful, but don't remember where or how much.

How do you really know when a supplement is working? Ask a doctor for a blood test, is my suggestion,

Thing is, seems like neither of or doctors (mine-VA and wife-regular PCP) Care about the supplements we take. We have told them and the type and IU or mg just gets entered into the computer and that’s it. Seems like it’s all left up to the person on what or what not to take.

I read online all the time “ask your doctor before using”, but who can or wants to do that? Doctor’s cost money to see, even with Medicare and a supplement insurance.

From what I have read, taking too much Turmeric is bad....to much being over 1500 mg’s daily. I take two capsules for total of 1000 mg and wife takes one capsule at 500mg.

Actually, the bottle says “one capsule per a day,” but that little sure wouldn’t help me!

There are two different mg’s of the GoGreen CBD Balm, 500 and 1000. Many say the 500 work for them, yet another member swears by the 1000. Says “it rocks”.

I think taking everything in moderation is fine, I often take more than is on the label of supplements and have not had any bad results, but I also have no medical conditions and am not on any prescription drugs. Years ago when my doctor mentioned hormone therapy if I needed help during menopause, I told him no, didn't want hormones, I was using Red Clover blossom for hot flashes.

He said it sounded fine, and along with the other supplements I told him I was taking, he just said keep doing what your doing. They are not schooled in vitamins and supplements, they find your symptom and write a prescription to relieve it, they rarely 'cure' it anyway and have to increase your prescription doses or change to another drug....all appear to have much more harmful side effects than vitamins, herbs or supplements. I cringe when I see the commercials on TV about the effects that may even lead to death and much worse than the condition itself, IMO. :eewwk:

Doctors and drugs are needed sometimes without a doubt, luckily we have access to both.

There are two different mg’s of the GoGreen CBD Balm, 500 and 1000. Many say the 500 work for them, yet another member swears by the 1000. Says “it rocks”.

Both strengths probably work very well, and we always have to keep in mind that everyone's different. Some people can take a couple of aspirin for a headache and it works fine, others get no relief. I rarely get headaches at all anymore, but sometimes when I was working I'd get one. Aspirin never did anything for me, and I didn't like the idea of taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen, so I used Niacin which knocked out my headache quickly. Side effect was some flushing and itchiness which I didn't like, but it only lasted minutes. The non-flushing Niacin did not work for headaches.

I need to start [FONT=&quot]probiotic, been sick for four months, which [/FONT][FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]probiotic should I use, what success have you had with it?[/FONT]

My most important supplements I take daily:

Grape Seed Extract
Magnesium
D3 and K2
Milk Thistle
Probiotics
Digestive Enzymes
Lutein/Bilberry
Iodine

For Joint Health/Maintenance:

Cosamin DS
Omega 3's (4-5g)
Turmeric Curcumin

I take some others for lowering Homocysteine:

Nattokinase
Methyl Folate
Methyl B12
TMG

There are some others that I don't take daily like:

DHEA

My most important supplements I take daily:

Grape Seed Extract
Magnesium
D3 and K2
Milk Thistle
Probiotics
Digestive Enzymes
Lutein/Bilberry
Iodine

For Joint Health/Maintenance:

Cosamin DS
Omega 3's (4-5g)
Turmeric Curcumin

I take some others for lowering Homocysteine:

Nattokinase
Methyl Folate
Methyl B12
TMG

There are some others that I don't take daily like:

DHEA

Supplements I take daily

senior women’s formula one a day multi
vitamin c - 1000 mg time released
vitamin b - 100 mg
krill oil
livercare
hair growth formula
bioSil for hair & nails
collagen
kelp for natural iodine ( thyroid health )
oregano oil
calcium & magnesium with vitamin D
chlorophyllin and mint

things I take only when needed

echinacea
probiotics
Gaba for when depression sets in
glucosamine sulfate
Osteo joint ease
kambusha
saw palmetto plus for women

I've been taking a statin for years for cholesterol but after reading more about side effects, such as joint and muscle pain, which I'm getting more often, I'm weening myself off the statin drug and I'm going to be taking Lecithin and coQ10/Ubiquinol.

I'm not much of a pill taker and hate taking any "drug". My HBP has been under control for quite some time and I'd like to get weened off the 3 BP pills I take daily. I would rather take a supplement for BP. Any suggestions?? I have a doctor's appointment in July and will discuss going off the BP drugs.

A few people have asked about probiotics or are already taking probiotics. I took a probiotic for years and most of the time it worked fine, but the last year or so I have been using ground flaxseed. I put 1 tablespoon of it on my cereal every morning and for me, it works better than a probiotic.

The only other thing I'd like to find in a supplement would be for digestive concerns. Is there anything else for acid reflux prevention? I've taken Protonix for years and I seem to be getting immune to it as it doesn't work as often. I watch my diet and stay away from chocolate, tomato sauces, etc., but I'd rather be taking something more "natural".

Here is what Dr. Sinatra says about statins..

https://www.drsinatra.com/statin-drugs-what-they-are-and-who-should-take-them

My doctor has been testing Homocysteine and Fibrigin for the last few yrs and hardly mentions cholesterol. Cholesterol is NOT the enemy. We NEED cholesterol...pharma makes a lot of money on the drugs.

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/healths...art-Disease-Cholesterol-Is-Not-the-Real-Enemy

Here is what LifeExtension believes about testing over 40

https://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/10moimblte.html

I take a couple meds, thyroid and BP and I fought and fought the BP meds but have made peace with them..they could be helpful for me. I resist pharma drugs with a passion but trust a couple.

The only vitamins I take is the ones my doctor recommends for my condition.

B12. Under the tongue.

Vitamin D. 2000 mgs a day.

The claim is we don't get enough sunshine to convert D through the skin in our northern climate.

Here is what Dr. Sinatra says about statins..

https://www.drsinatra.com/statin-drugs-what-they-are-and-who-should-take-them

My doctor has been testing Homocysteine and Fibrigin for the last few yrs and hardly mentions cholesterol. Cholesterol is NOT the enemy. We NEED cholesterol...pharma makes a lot of money on the drugs.http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/healths...art-Disease-Cholesterol-Is-Not-the-Real-Enemy

Here is what LifeExtension believes about testing over 40

https://www.lifeextensionvitamins.com/10moimblte.html

I take a couple meds, thyroid and BP and I fought and fought the BP meds but have made peace with them..they could be helpful for me. I resist pharma drugs with a passion but trust a couple.

Great info...thanks! My hubby has been on a statin for about 10 years. He's 77 and doesn't have any heart problems, but according to Dr. Sinatra, my hubby shouldn't even be on it!! I'm going to be giving him CoQ10 also. Why don't these doctors tell you these things?? Is it because they get compensated for handing out these drugs or is it because once you reach a "certain" age...it really doesn't matter to them what side effects there could be?? Amazing!

I was put on a HRT drug years ago for hot flashes. I trusted my doctor and what he told me. I was on it for years and when we moved to AZ 4 years ago, the doctor here asked me why I had been on it so long. He took me off of it and I have hot flashes but I'd rather put up with them then have chemicals in my body!

Great info...thanks! My hubby has been on a statin for about 10 years. He's 77 and doesn't have any heart problems, but according to Dr. Sinatra, my hubby shouldn't even be on it!! I'm going to be giving him CoQ10 also. Why don't these doctors tell you these things?? Is it because they get compensated for handing out these drugs or is it because once you reach a "certain" age...it really doesn't matter to them what side effects there could be?? Amazing!

I was put on a HRT drug years ago for hot flashes. I trusted my doctor and what he told me. I was on it for years and when we moved to AZ 4 years ago, the doctor here asked me why I had been on it so long. He took me off of it and I have hot flashes but I'd rather put up with them then have chemicals in my body!

The medical Industry is all about profits bottom line. Do they really care about people...ummm, maybe one has a doctor who really cares, but at the end of the day they turn off their minds to what they prescribe etc and they know the dangers of the drugs.

I always tried to avoid doctors unless I really needed them, or being put on prescription meds like so many others in my immediate family. When I went through menopause, the doctor mentioned hormone replacement therapy for my hot flashes and occasional night sweats. I told him no thanks, I was already using Red Clover Blossom with good results and intended to continue using the supplement. He thought is was a good idea, and encouraged me to continue taking the vitamins and supplements I was using, they seemed to working well for me. Prescriptions drugs are absolutely necessary for some people with some conditions and diseases, and I'm glad they're available if the need is there. But, if there's a more natural way, I'm always open to trying it.

The medical Industry is all about profits bottom line. Do they really care about people...ummm, maybe one has a doctor who really cares, but at the end of the day they turn off their minds to what they prescribe etc and they know the dangers of the drugs.

Doctors have an average of 2 weeks education on the importance of nutrition. Since most medical education is sponsored by the big pharmaceutical companies, other options are rarely considered.

I always tried to avoid doctors unless I really needed them, or being put on prescription meds like so many others in my immediate family. When I went through menopause, the doctor mentioned hormone replacement therapy for my hot flashes and occasional night sweats. I told him no thanks, I was already using Red Clover Blossom with good results and intended to continue using the supplement. He thought is was a good idea, and encouraged me to continue taking the vitamins and supplements I was using, they seemed to working well for me. Prescriptions drugs are absolutely necessary for some people with some conditions and diseases, and I'm glad they're available if the need is there. But, if there's a more natural way, I'm always open to trying it.

I agree completely Seabreeze. I’m not on any prescription drugs except cannabis and that’s still all natural.
Theres certainly a need and use for certain prescription drugs but if you can get away from taking them, you are best off.
I use the medical establishment to get any testing done and from there make my own decisions how to go about treating it and it’s working for me so I won’t change.

Been Using Bone Broth and Collagen for Skin, Bone and Joint Health

I've been taking an organic turkey bone broth every day with my vitamins, it naturally contains some collagen which is good for skin, hair, nails, joints and bones. My husband wouldn't even taste it and he has been having some tendon, muscle and joint issues. So, I bought some collagen and we've both been taking that daily, I'm using it as a preventative and if there are any positive side effect with thin, aging, wrinkling skin, that will be a plus.

61Hx4buZUFL._SY450_.jpg

I just came across an article on collagen today, full story here.

It’s amazing, if you think about it: From the skin that envelops you to the bones that support you, every part of your body is made of collagen. This tough, durable protein provides the scaffolding on which all sorts of tissues are built.

Collagen production slows with age, which helps explain the dull, saggy skin and thin, brittle hair we associate with getting older, along with achy joints and other woes. (Exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays also degrades collagen.) One way to bolster the body’s stores of this crucial protein is through the intake of readily absorbable hydrolized collagen peptides.

Organic turkey broth, do you buy it or make your own from turkey bones...

I've taken Great Lakes Gelatin (green can) over some time but not taking it now.

I recently made my own chicken broth and it was too big a job for me to do again.

I buy Pacific Organic Turkey BONE broth, supposed to be different than good tasting turkey broth, too lazy and not interested to make my own.

GUEST_187b5bf7-138a-49eb-ad37-0c55591f0e18

They have beef and chicken too, but I wasn't interested in the beef bone broth. The chicken had a higher fat or salt content, so I went with the turkey.

Like you, Sea Breeze, I consume high amounts of vitamin and mineral supplements, apparently with great success as like Keesha, I visit a doctor for a diagnosis and then proceed to find my own cure. I handle COPD by making an herbal tincture of five lung specific herbs; it won't cure the problem but does hold the breakdown of my lungs at bay. In addition I take Elderberry syrup daily to prevent flu and colds and hawthorn berry syrup for the heart and numerous other beneficial reasons.

Back