What The Devil Is A1C?

I see it on TV commercials and hear people mentioning it, but I don't know what it is.

I went online and consulted several different websites on the subject, but nobody has told me what the 3 characters stand for!

They just assume that you're conversant with the term. They just say "Lower your A1C", or "Check your A1C", etc.

HDH

Here's your answer:

The A1C test is a blood test that provides information about a person’s average levels of blood glucose, also called blood sugar, over the past 3 months. The A1C test is sometimes called the hemoglobin A1c, HbA1c, or glycohemoglobin test. The A1C test is the primary test used for diabetes management and diabetes research.
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/tests-diagnosis/a1c-test

Sorry I didn't answer your question exactly. Looks to me like it's just a code for various blood components, and not really an acronym. Probably need a degree in Hematology, lol.

About 90% of hemoglobin is hemoglobin A. (The "A" stands for adult type.) Although one chemical component accounts for 92% of hemoglobin A, approximately 8% of hemoglobin A is made up of minor components that are chemically slightly different. These minor components include hemoglobin A1c, A1b, A1a1, and A1a2.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=17048

p.s. Lots of other articles with varying amounts of info in Google search: "what does a1c stand for"

Here's a bit more info, maybe more of what you are looking for:

The particular type of hemoglobin that glucose attaches to is hemoglobin A, and the combined result is call glycated hemoglobin. As blood glucose levels rise, more glycated hemoglobin forms, and it persists for the lifespan of red blood cells, about four months.2

Therefore, the A1C level directly correlates to the average blood glucose level over the previous 8-12 weeks; A1C is a reliable test that has been refined and standardized using clinical trial data.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265443.php

Sounds like A1C could be the name for the glycated hemoglobin.
Also I read that this test has been available since 2008.

Thanks for your response, Granny B., but it still doesn't tell me what "A", "1", and "C" stand for!

The term "A1C" is just repeated several times in the explanation, without giving me the answer I want!

I don't think anyone even knows!

HiDesertHal

[h=2]What does A1C stand for?[/h]

About 90% of hemoglobin is hemoglobin A (the "A" stands for adult type). Although one chemical component accounts for 92% of hemoglobin A, approximately 8% of hemoglobin A is made up of minor components that are chemically slightly different. These minor components include hemoglobin A1c, A1b, A1a1, and A1a2.

I really don't care what A1C means.... The purpose is to see how blood glucose was controlled for as long as the previous 3 months.. Catches cheating diabetics... lol!

Of course I'm OK, Falcon! I'm as OK as you!

If nobody knows what A 1 C stands for, then I'll just take my marbles and go home, but I thank those who tried to help!

HiDesertHal (Here's a pic of my Home Jim...it's like a Gym, only smaller.)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 14

Back