What the roofer said

I told him, in effect, to go pound sand (not my exact words, though).

Congratulations! You just moved to the front of the line on the Contractors "Blacklist". Most contractors who are doing outside repairs are quite busy, and due to weather conditions may only be able to work on roofs, etc., for about 8 months of the year. They are constantly having to juggle their schedules and never know for certain how long a job may take until they actually start doing it. Most of them are very hard working people who are just trying to do their very best.

Then, when they encounter a potential customer who starts being critical and even insulting, they quickly put that person at the end of the line, and often pass the word to their fellow contractors.

So long as you persist in acting this way, you will Never get any proper work done on your house. Just hope that you never have an inspector visit your place....based upon your posts, it is quickly becoming "unfit for human habitation".

That size house in need of repairs is more than most older folks should be dealing with. If you are in love with the location, get the house demolished and replace with a single-wide manufactured home. No stairs to deal with and everything is new and will outlast you as you grow older in place.

That size house in need of repairs is more than most older folks should be dealing with. If you are in love with the location, get the house demolished and replace with a single-wide manufactured home. No stairs to deal with and everything is new and will outlast you as you grow older in place.
That has been recommended by several posters at various times for over a year now. Deb A single woman in her late 60's is set in her ways. That being continuing to live in a home she describes as a disaster.
Not likely she will do anything except continue to live in what most would consider an unhealthy home.

Never heard the expression 'Pound Sand' before, had to look it up. I think Chet's advice is very wise. Put all your treasures in storage, stay in a nearby nice hotel and do it! If you can. If you want.

I did look at the house - the realtor had been delayed at a business meeting. It looks very promising. My trump card is that I'm a cash buyer and don't have to wait for a mortgage approval. The agent said that there were a quite a few showings this weekend, but he'd "keep me in the loop."

Congratulations! You just moved to the front of the line on the Contractors "Blacklist". Most contractors who are doing outside repairs are quite busy, and due to weather conditions may only be able to work on roofs, etc., for about 8 months of the year. They are constantly having to juggle their schedules and never know for certain how long a job may take until they actually start doing it. Most of them are very hard working people who are just trying to do their very best.

Then, when they encounter a potential customer who starts being critical and even insulting, they quickly put that person at the end of the line, and often pass the word to their fellow contractors.

So long as you persist in acting this way, you will Never get any proper work done on your house. Just hope that you never have an inspector visit your place....based upon your posts, it is quickly becoming "unfit for human habitation".
Well, say what you want, but I am not going to let any contractor treat me like I don't matter. I waited home all day for him to show up or call and wasted time I could have been doing other things. I think that is just plain inconsiderate and unprofessional.

Well, say what you want, but I am not going to let any contractor treat me like I don't matter. I waited home all day for him to show up or call and wasted time I could have been doing other things. I think that is just plain inconsiderate and unprofessional.
I understand. It's unfortunate that this happened to you. It's happened to me.
But, please don't punish them for it....you're the one losing out in the long run.

jmo

Back