What to do with an old TV

You could upcycle it!

atomic-attic-upcycled-pet-bed-television-tv.jpg

Where my son lives they have a huge warehouse dedicated to recycling.

You put your item on the shelf and if someone want's it they pick it up free.

My son sent me a computer.

They do recycle all kinds of hockey equipment which the previous person has outgrown this way. Skates, etc.

That's a good point about if it is in working order or not. Another thought is perhaps donating it to a day care center or a retirement home ? Maybe a local church ? Yes, I know it is old but if it is in working condition I've got to think that there are organizations out there that could put it to good use :)

I would think daycare centers and especially retirement homes have up to date flatscreen TVs. If I moved into a pricey retirement home I sure wouldn't want to watch an old CRT TV.
If the TV works or is repairable, imo a homeless shelter or rehab facility might want it.

Otherwise, I've heard of a place 1-800-GOTJUNK, but they charge a fee (just like Best Buy), but I don't know how much.

I have a 2 man CRT TV that works very well. It is a 2 man because it takes 2 strong young men to lift it and I don't qualify. I can lift the remote which is included.

I have tried to giveaway my 65 inch projection tv for weeks now. Guess it’s going to the curb as our waste co. will pick it up. Damn shame though, it s a nice set but we have downsized.

There is a place in town here that is run by a church group. They take working televisions and sell them. They don't ask much but for some people it's all they can afford.

It's a shame to see anything still working delegated to the scrap heap.

Our dump, which they call "Citizens Convenience Center", a name of distinction haha, charges $10 per TV, computer, appliances, etc. Then they charge an extra $7 if you want it picked up curbside.

Anytime my town can make money they will. They calibrated yellow lights to change quickly and put up camera's, then charged $50 per ticket. They were making money hand over fist until the people complained, it showed up on the front page of the local newspaper, and they finally turned off the camera on my street and maybe others.

If this doesn't help I don't know what will besides me driving up there , putting in the trunk of my Volvo and hauling it to a recycling center for you. Come to think of it, anyone up for a road trip?

https://www.epa.gov/recycle/electronics-donation-and-recycling

Before I commit, what kind of music are we going to be playing in the car??? Do you have a problem with stopping every half hour to pee? I'll bring the crackers, celery sticks and the spray-cheese-in-a-can!

Back