What would you have paid a contractor to do this repair?

I'm not sure I would bother, at least right away. I'd put it toward the end of my to-do list.

In addition to... if I were looking to have a wood sill replaced such as yours, Deb, I would have the wood on the window scraped, sanded, primed, and repainted.

When doing little jobs, it's about doing those little jobs right, and when you go the extra mile, it shows.

It would be one job completely done and out of the way, and you wouldn't have to look at redoing the job again.

Another check off the list job.
check mark 3

A rotted window sill.
Probably more and part of the long list of needed repairs. You might get another rip off of a handyman do a cheap repair let us know what you pay.

I doubt most would let their home deteriorate to the point you have & then post pics of what you have let go.

After it is good and dry, scrape off anything loose, fill with putty and paint it. Easy DIY job. If you are a senior it will last you the rest of your time on earth.

Yes, I would have paid to have it done "right"

Been in the oilpatch right at 43 year....

Building new Projects and/or repairing existing facilities and platforms

Go Cheap - You Get Cheap.....

7 P's Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Having said all that, there is nothing wrong with temporary fixes - as long as you prepare for the permanent / correct / proper repair

gamboolman....

I would just add it to the list of repairs until you finally decide to sell or stay.

If you decide to stay then do some old-fashioned patching and painting until you are ready to replace the entire window unit.

I would carefully scrape the area, caulk it or apply an epoxy wood filler/putty then put down a few strips of duct tape or a few strips of cloth saturated with wood glue, and give it a couple of coats of paint.

In other words, if you can't fix it hide it! ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:
$10-20 if you're paying someone else to do it. A roll of white duct tape is appx. $3.00. Add time and gas mileage for purchasing it, then labor time to walk upstairs and stick it on. Would under no circumstance refer to the job as 'contractor' work though. It's also not a 'repair' because it doesn't prevent further water damage.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that is a basement window. It looks like the sash is fixed. I would guess that the entire sill is probably soft and should be replaced. I would replace at least the sill plate. I would investigate the damage and see if the rot extends inside of the outside vertical edge of the sash. If you dont want to spend the money to pull the window and replicate the needed window parts and the rot does not extend inboard. You could cut the sill board flush to the sash and have a new sash extension cut on a taper so rain water runs away from the window sash. Using waterproof construction adhesive glue to the old sash edge and the brick and concrete surround, mechanically fasten to hold in place. Allow to cure then scrape window clean, caulk edges to brick, prime and paint. However, that is based upon a cursory review of the picture posted. Contractor costs, I can't address that, I typically do my own so not sure. Regards..

What would you have paid a contractor to do this repair?

A rotted window sill.

Uh, that 2nd pic is not a 'repair'
It's not even lipstick on a pig

You could just;
scrape off the loose
Fill in with a good epoxy/caulk
Paint

That'd be a patch job
Unless you discover, while scraping, the whole sill is rotted

I'd suggest inspecting the rest of the sills and get a proper quote

Those pictures are similar to what the OP has posted with regards to the many other issues with that house. It would probably cost more than the house is worth to fix up all the problems that have been mentioned in previous posts. Trying to sell that place would almost be a waste of time, as no prospective buyer would be willing to spend the money needed to bring it up to current codes/standards. Perhaps the land has some value, but the house itself is little more than a "liability".

2nd post I've seem about the kitchen update, but have not seen a picture yet. Can you post a link?
Look for in Home Deb's thread

Estimate for kitchen ceiling repair
Post #1

Look for a picture of her kitchen in another thread where her cabinet doors are filthy from years of not cleaning the cooking grease. The sink base rotted from years of no care.

Cheap patch jobs trying to cover years of neglect, plus electrical, plumbing, water seeping into the basement, brick work collapsing under most windows, damaged & or extensive roof work needed in several places.

This last about sill repair is just another in a long list of neglect that keeps me & others interested in what disaster Deb will point out next.

Kind of like looky loos slowing down to see what took place in a bad accident. You can't help but look.

Back