What's for dinner ( or lunch )

I made a small pot of soup this morning that will take care of lunch today and tomorrow.

Dinner will probably be a Stouffer's frozen entree with a side of frozen vegetables and a couple of tiny mandarin oranges.

Tonight it will be Boeuf Deux Bourguignon, which is a hoity-toity name for Beef Burgandy #2. The uppity name and duality of this dish is because it will be a fancied-up retry of what I burned up last night, despite having made it many times before. Fortunately there was still some vegetable beef soup left in the freezer from last week. As you might expect, this beef burgandy will have most of the usual stuff - beef chunks, bacon bits, stock, red wine, whole onion, mushrooms, packet of onion soup mix, fresh garlic, worcestershire sauce, thyme, tomato paste, etc. This time I will be sure to add more beef stock (I skimped when I ran out yesterday) and then thicken it later with cornstarch or that butter/flour mix called beurre manié. The latter dissolves/thickens better to serve over noodles and would give the dish its uppity aspersions.

Today will be soup for lunch.

Dinner will be panfried chicken drumsticks with a side of cabbage salad.

I may add a 1-minute low-carb muffin that I've been experimenting with.

No magic to this recipe it's a variation on one of the many low-carb mug muffins on the internet.

1-Minute Muffin

1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal from the local Aldi. You could also use almond flour.
1/2t baking powder
1 packet sweetener equal to a teaspoon or two of sugar.
1 large egg
1T almond milk, water, heavy cream, etc...
A few drops of vanilla extract, a dash of salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg to taste.

Mix well and pour the batter into a 5" ramekin sprayed with Pam, let sit for 3 minutes then microwave for 1 minute on high. Remove the muffin from the ramekin and let it sit for a minute or two.

I tried this little recipe the other day and the muffin tastes similar to a bran muffin. I want to try it again and allow the muffin to cool completely so I can split it and toast it. I'm hoping that the result will be similar to the bran Toast-R-Cakes we had when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Back