When Did You First Get Your Social Security Card?

My dad dragged me into a store somewhere to get Social Security numbers for my brother and I. I think it must have been a Post Office. I was about eight years old.

When I was 14. We were living in FL and everyone in our class had to apply for them before we took 8th grade tests. I remember my mom having to fill out the paperwork for me.

When I was 14. We were living in FL and everyone in our class had to apply for them before we took 8th grade tests. I remember my mom having to fill out the paperwork for me.
I see I wasn't the only one who got mine in Florida. When I switched my 401K to an IRA, my Bank Manager asked for my SS number. I told her that I didn't get my Social Security card in New York. She told me she could tell that my looking at the number.

https://www.ssa.gov/employer/stateweb.htm

Here in Canada its is known as a Social Insurance Number, with 9 digits. I got mine in 1964. I have had it memorized for ever. The 4 at the begining means it was issued here in Ontario. I still have the original red and white plastic card. JImB.

Here in Canada its is known as a Social Insurance Number, with 9 digits. I got mine in 1964. I have had it memorized for ever. The 4 at the begining means it was issued here in Ontario. I still have the original red and white plastic card. JImB.
Aha! Mine starts with a 6. That's why the govt employee said I didn't get it locally (Burlington/Hamilton), even though I did. 🤷‍♀️

Aha! Mine starts with a 6. That's why the govt employee said I didn't get it in Ontario (I did). 🤷‍♀️
And if the SIN ends with a 9, the individual is a Permanent Resident, not a citizen. When they become a Canadian Citizen, they get a new number to reflect that change in their Immigration status. I used to have a numeric formula that you could apply to a questioned SIN is order to see if it was either a good one, or a made up one. That was when I was working as a Private Investigator in the 1990's in Toronto. JimB.

Back