When the Diaper Pin reined supreme...

Five pages and growing!!!
I had no idea diapers were near & dear to so many, uh, hearts.

My siblings and I were born between 1945 and 1960, so there were no disposables at the time. I was 5 or 6 when the youngest was born...there was one other sibling younger than I. I have no memories of diapers.

It is a timely topic. There are predictions of a COVID Baby Boom on the horizon.
ROFL!

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say, near and dear to, but considering the amount of time a child spends in didies, the near and dear notion may not be that far off, but considering that so many of us here experienced traditional, old-fashioned cloth diapers back in the day, my thought was, it can't hurt to pry-open the lid of yesteryears plastic diaper pail and scatter around a few of our memories related to four-corner pants.

As for the Covid-19 Baby Boom scenario, I, too have given thought to the idea of.

Last edited:
ROFL!

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say, near and dear to, but considering the amount of time a child spends in didies, the near and dear notion may not be that far off, but considering that so many of us here experienced traditional, old-fashioned cloth diapers back in the day, my thought was, it can't hurt to pry-open the lid of yesteryears plastic diaper pail and scatter around a few of our memories related to four-corner pants.

As for the Covid-19 Baby Boom scenario, I, too have given thought to the idea of.
I didn't read every comment, but I wonder if there are some here who were cleaning diapers without the benefit of a modern washing machine. We don't have to go back too far in time to encounter "living primitive." Maybe "near and dear" was a bit of a stretch, although it seemed that some were waxing nostalgic. At least the stories of scarred table tops didn't include admonitions to "Never remove Uncle Jimmy's stain."

Regarding the Baby Boom, it's being predicted by a lot of experts.

I didn't read every comment, but I wonder if there are some here who were cleaning diapers without the benefit of a modern washing machine. We don't have to go back too far in time to encounter "living primitive." Maybe "near and dear" was a bit of a stretch, although it seemed that some were waxing nostalgic. At least the stories of scarred table tops didn't include admonitions to "Never remove Uncle Jimmy's stain."

Regarding the Baby Boom, it's being predicted by a lot of experts.
ROFLMAO!

Uncle Jimmy's stain, will now be forever embedded in my brain! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I do recall reading one or two posts from members who had to hand-wash diapers, and all I can say is, I'm grateful for the advent of the modern day automatic washing machine, and even more grateful it was already well established and in full-swing when I had my kids! LOL!

I remember my poor mom occasionally hunched over the bathtub scrubbing diapers out by-hand on her washboard. Pampers would have looked pretty good to me had the scrub-board and hand-washing thing been waiting for me. :)

ROFLMAO!

Uncle Jimmy's stain, will now be forever embedded in my brain! :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I do recall reading one or two posts from members who had to hand-wash diapers, and all I can say is, I'm grateful for the advent of the modern day automatic washing machine, and even more grateful it was already well established and in full-swing when I had my kids! LOL!

I remember my poor mom occasionally hunched over the bathtub scrubbing diapers out by-hand on her washboard. Pampers would have looked pretty good to me had the scrub-board and hand-washing thing been waiting for me. :)
It's crazy, isn't it?

Make you wonder what advancements are coming that will make what we do seem archaic. Perhaps a passive way of doing laundry that yields folded, sorted clothes, unless they come up with Wear-Once garments.

When I think I pine for simpler times, all I have to do is remind myself of modern health care and toilet paper, and I'm happy to remain in the present day.

It's crazy, isn't it?

Make you wonder what advancements are coming that will make what we do seem archaic. Perhaps a passive way of doing laundry that yields folded, sorted clothes, unless they come up with Wear-Once garments.

When I think I pine for simpler times, all I have to do is remind myself of modern health care and toilet paper, and I'm happy to remain in the present day.

Wear-once garments- like the paper dresses in the 1960s?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/773962...ry=1960s+paper+dress&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1
I had one of those! :ROFLMAO:

It's crazy, isn't it?

Love your take on things, ITS! :)

Oh, yes, I do often wonder what's next. Seems just when one thinks something is as developed as developed as it can get, along comes Joe-inventor, and poof, he/she revolutionizes it again, and for the better.

I, too, am very content in this day and age, however, there's an old-fashioned streak that runs deep within me, and when I reflect on how much more simple life used to be (compared to now), because there wasn't the choices available to people back in the day as there are now, and add in the less wasteful ways people lived, it makes me long to go back to those times.

Speaking of advancements, I remember the first time I came across a disposable diaper. It was completely and utterly new to me. No pins, no folding, no washing... just so far removed from the image I had grown up with where diapers were cloth, reusable, and washable.

Love your take on things, ITS! :)

Oh, yes, I do often wonder what's next. Seems just when one thinks something is as developed as developed as it can get, along comes Joe-inventor, and poof, he/she revolutionizes it again, and for the better.

I, too, am very content in this day and age, however, there's an old-fashioned streak that runs deep within me, and when I reflect on how much more simple life used to be (compared to now), because there wasn't the choices available to people back in the day as there are now, and add in the less wasteful ways people lived, it makes me long to go back to those times.

Speaking of advancements, I remember the first time I came across a disposable diaper. It was completely and utterly new to me. No pins, no folding, no washing... just so far removed from the image I had grown up with where diapers were cloth, reusable, and washable.
Choices are a funny thing. I often dwell on this because too many can paralyze me and make me fret that I've made the "least perfect" one.

I think of job choices.
Back when you were born into a trade, you applied yourself and did the best you could. There was no room for the "what ifs." You did what you had to.
On the other hand, those who were incompetent in that trade or were locked into their own private Hells could have flourished in their lives had they been allowed opportunities.

Of course, things are always simpler when someone else is putting food on the table and that roof over our heads.

Choices are a funny thing. I often dwell on this because too many can paralyze me and make me fret that I've made the "least perfect" one.

I think of job choices.
Back when you were born into a trade, you applied yourself and did the best you could. There was no room for the "what ifs." You did what you had to.
On the other hand, those who were incompetent in that trade or were locked into their own private Hells could have flourished in their lives had they been allowed opportunities.

Of course, things are always simpler when someone else is putting food on the table and that roof over our heads.
Everything you say resonates with me (in a good way).

I used to be the way you are, allowing others to migrate into my life and taint me with their likes, their dislikes, their thoughts, and their opinions, but when I developed a taste for navigating my way through life by way of the needle of my own compass, and trailblazing my own path and style, life suddenly became less complicated and more gratifying.

Love the way you put it, "things are always simpler when someone else is putting food on the table and that roof over our heads". Isn't that the truth. :)

Oh wow....this thread was a real hoot to read for this newbie. In short, so many of you are a hoot too. :ROFLMAO:

Marge, your original post was just spot on! I laughed myself silly over so many posts, and since I've been on a recent rant about good old cloth diapers on another post, It will be fun to bring up many of your relatable experiences. I even made notes. ;)
Right now, I have to get something done around the house but I'll be back for sure.
Dang, I love this whole SF place and I might need some intervention to keep outa here and do something besides sit here. :love:

Oh wow....this thread was a real hoot to read for this newbie. In short, so many of you are a hoot too. :ROFLMAO:

Marge, your original post was just spot on! I laughed myself silly over so many posts, and since I've been on a recent rant about good old cloth diapers on another post, It will be fun to bring up many of your relatable experiences. I even made notes. ;)
Right now, I have to get something done around the house but I'll be back for sure.
Dang, I love this whole SF place and I might need some intervention to keep outa here and do something besides sit here. :love:
Thank you for your kind words, Kayelle!

Feel free to rant away! I'll join you! LOL! 🧷🧷

P.S. I know exactly what you mean by getting sucked-in here! Happens to me ALL the time! ROFLMAO!

It's 100x worse when the residents in a nursing home do it,including putting it in their mouth.
I wouldn't be able to handle it., as much as I know people need help, but it would spell the end for me.

Kudos to those like yourself who are dedicated to the care of all those in need!

After reading and responding to the topic - Mom cries in viral video when she can't find diapers to buy, I couldn't help but feel a topic on traditional cloth diapers was in order, and unlike so many parenting topics that exclude those without children, I've tailored this conversation as a generic one, where everyone, regardless of whether you have children or not, can voice their opinion and experience related to, so come on all you moms, grandmas, dads, and babysitters of the past, come share what you remember about the old days of cloth diapers, safety pins, and rubber pants.

Pin-pricks galore, the stinking diaper pails so strong with ammonia, the odour would burn at your nose and eyes when you lifted the lid to drop a diaper inside, and then there were the hot, greenhouse rubber pants. Those plasticy-rusting panties with stretchy elastics... off and on at every diaper-change, making for the cutest little balloon baby bottoms ever. When weather was hot and tiny little legs and feet were sweaty, trying to get all the piggy's in through the elasticized leg holes of rubber pants could prove to be a challenge at times, but all was remedied with a little dusting of baby powder applied to baby's feet, with a hint sprinkled inside the rubber pants for good measure.

Diapers on the line, diapers in the washing machine, diapers in the pail, diapers in the laundry basket waiting to be folded. When baby filled their pants, off to the bathroom we'd go with diapers in-hand, and assuming a safe position in relation to the toilet, and while holding onto diapers with an extra-firm grip, toilet flush lever was depressed, and poopy diapers were dunked up and down in the swirling toilet water until rinsed, followed by a quick hand-wring, and into the plastic diaper pail the didies would go.

My poor chapped hands, red and irritated around the clock. No amount of hand lotion cured the soreness, and then there were those unexpected moments, like when you'd open the dresser drawer to fetch a clean pair of rubber pants at change-time, only to realize that all of the rubber pants were in the diaper pail or hanging on the line.

Identifying a seasoned cloth diaper veteran was easy, for diaper pins were held between pursed lips when diapering, and when pants were changed, baby was off and running, and with a duck-like waddle, the result of bulky double diapers, all that could be heard was the unmistakable plastic beat of rubber pants rustling with baby's every step, and when baby got into something they knew better than to get into, a few light swats with the flat of ones hand on their rubber-panted bottom was all that was needed, for those rubber baby pants emitted the loudest plastic-popping sound ever, making the spanking sound far more serious than it was.

Ah, yes, those were the days.
@Aunt Marg I can totally relate to absolutely everything in your post
I remember my hands were red and raw from continual rinsing of neverending soiled clothes
I just remembered a trick with nappy/diaper pins a dear friend told me many years ago
If you find putting pins into nappies/diapers difficult first run (gently mind you) the nappy/diaper pins through your hair
You would not believe how much easier it is to use nappy/diaper pins after this little trick due to the natural oil on your hair
Many a four letter word was prevented due to that piece of wisdom let me tell you
Pilchers or plastic pants over the nappy of course completed the many nappy/diaper changes
I used to love watching my kids 'waddle' off after a nappy change too....made me feel real good
I rarely used disposables but kept a few in the nappy bag when we went shopping just in case

@Aunt Marg I can totally relate to absolutely everything in your post
I remember my hands were red and raw from continual rinsing of neverending soiled clothes
I just remembered a trick with nappy/diaper pins a dear friend told me many years ago
If you find putting pins into nappies/diapers difficult first run (gently mind you) the nappy/diaper pins through your hair
You would not believe how much easier it is to use nappy/diaper pins after this little trick due to the natural oil on your hair
Many a four letter word was prevented due to that piece of wisdom let me tell you
Pilchers or plastic pants over the nappy of course completed the many nappy/diaper changes
I used to love watching my kids 'waddle' off after a nappy change too....made me feel real good
I rarely used disposables but kept a few in the nappy bag when we went shopping just in case
Love your post, Peram!

Yes, the old pin trick! Can't tell you how many tens of thousands of times I've done the old pins through my hair trick over the years, and work well it did!

I remember watching my mom change diapers when I was really young, and she always ran the pins through her hair at change-time, and by 1971, with two baby siblings in diapers in the home, my mom got me started on diaper duty, and running the pins through my hair before fastening diapers, grew to be part-and-parcel to the whole changing process for me.

It was always double diapers in our home, and hair-swiped pins glided through siblings bulky diapers effortlessly. I carried the practice forward when I started babysitting (double diapers were the norm back then), and then again when my own children came along (double diapers for them, too). Was definitely a long-standing practice of mine.

Oh yes... rubber pants over diapers always, and one to two sizes larger than needed. Used to make my kids look like they were wearing balloons on their bums! Used a combination of plain white rubber pants and pastel-coloured ones.

Two of my boys were masters at tearing the seats out of their rubber pants. I put it down to them catching their big bulky rubber-bums on the swing-set/plastic slide, the seats of their tricycles, and who knows what else. LOL!

I agree about the self-satisfaction part, Peram, I always felt the same. Folding a soft fluffy diaper into shape and pulling the corners together and fastening with a pin... nothing better reminded me of the countless mothers before me that did the same, and nothing sounded more befitting of motherhood to me, than the plastic rustling sound of rubber pants being pulled off and on at change-time, elastics stretching and snapping.

Back