When was the last time you saw a door-to-door salesman?

If an Avon Lady came to my door, left a book and said she’d come back for my order and deliver the goods for free, I’d buy some goods. No way will I pay for the delivery.

We do have the occasional realty or home repair companies leave a brochure on the porch.

If an Avon Lady came to my door, left a book and said she’d come back for my order and deliver the goods for free, I’d buy some goods. No way will I pay for the delivery.

We do have the occasional realty or home repair companies leave a brochure on the porch.
Yeap, it cost a lot to be an Avon representative, and if a person doesn't have enough customers, it can cost more than the small commission covers. But I never heard of a representative charging for delivery.

I would not leave a brochure with just anyone, because the representative has to pay for them and all the samples. Then add the mileage for making deliveries and it is easy to see why there are fewer people selling Avon or Fuller Brush products.

But how about Tupperware or lingerie parties? I also remember parties that sold paints for handcrafters.

Many years ago, back in Adelaide, I had 2 young 7th Day Adventists knock on the door while I was painting.
When they heard my Canadian accent, we had a pleasant conversation about everything but religion. They even offered to help me paint! That was the nicest experience I've had from door-to-door salesmen.

I saw this in another post., and it dawned on me- When was the last time you saw a door-to-door salesman? Remember the Fuller Brush guy? Vacuum cleaner guys? Furniture polish man?
By your definition- never.
Locally, all I've seen were guys from an internet company trying to push their services- which they now do by mail, and Jehovah Witnesses. Both were around a decade ago.

Long ago- other location- kids often went around selling magazine subscriptions etc., for school fundraisers, and occasionally there were Girl Scouts selling cookies.

Like JaniceM, I've really only seen internet company guys, and that was the same ones twice in the 3 months since
I moved into this house, first time was to see if I was interested and at the time I wasn't as I had more important things
to think about - the second time they came I had sorted those things - and my internet too with someone else. :)

Avon is still going strong in the US.
There was always some housewife, who was going to make a fortune selling Avon. My mom would get the word that some cousin, or other was selling Avon, and to avid her like the plague. The worst were the Tupperware parties. My mom said she was pressure to buy "plastics" ugh, ( "plastic" in the 50s was a name for cheap junk) so the host could get a free lettuce crisper.

There was always some housewife, who was going to make a fortune selling Avon. My mom would get the word that some cousin, or other was selling Avon, and to avid her like the plague. The worst were the Tupperware parties. My mom said she was pressure to buy "plastics" ugh, ( "plastic" in the 50s was a name for cheap junk) so the host could get a free lettuce crisper.
Maybe so, but I'm still using some Tupperware I bought over 35 years ago. My kids split up some of what I had but no longer needed and they're using it...

Avon is still going strong in the US.
about-us-our-story-d.jpg

Besides door-to-door salesmen, we used to get a lot of religious people, knocking on the door. And telling me that I was going to hell. Most would politely go away, if you didn't show interest, but there were others. One guy was standing in my kitchen screaming, well I chased him down the street. I haven't had anyone come by in a long time, they must think I'm a lost cause.

In our area we get door to door solicitations fairly regularly. If a landscaper is in the area doing work he will knock on neighboring doors to see if you want any work done. Every few months we get a knock on the door offering to do a roof inspection hoping to find damage so that claims can be made for a nearly free roof courtesy of your insurance company. Then of course there are the people that ring the doorbell of new homeowners hoping to sell overpriced water softeners.

Back