Who are currently employed?

Wow, that's impressive. What type of work do you do?
I'm a logistics manager. If you have ever seen the big trucks delivery supplies to the rear of a supermarket, it will have come from a distribution centre. The head honcho of that distribution centre would have been me.

The company that I worked for was a large conglomerate, it was broken up on the death of the managing director, one Sir Ronnie Frost. The division that I worked in was sold and the buyer pensioned me off. At 64 I was one foot in the grave. A local firm that have about forty parcel vans and a dozen larger vehicles had been looking for someone to run their operation, they took the opposite view, at 64, I had a lifetime of experience. 11 years later I'm still there.

I’m still working. Self employed, I’m an organizer and personal assistant to a variety of families in the wealthy part of my town, and I really enjoy my work.

I stopped work completely for several months when the virus first hit .... I just wasn’t comfortable being in others’ homes with the threat of the virus so new with so many unknowns. I’m working again, not with a full schedule yet, and I may decide to not take on any more clients because I find I’m enjoying this slower pace.

I love what I do. It’s definitely a niche position and I can’t imagine not working at all.

Last edited:
I am still employed, I love what I do, but I promised my husband I will quit at the end of this year.
I am going to take a long break and we're hoping to do some travel within Australia. I do have a fun occupation planned after retirement but that's something I can do from home at my leisure!!

I can't believe it...exactly 23 years ago today I retired from State service. January 22, 1998 was the last day I worked. I used what was left of my vacation time and my retirement officially started on February 1st. :D

On Nov 1st of this year, I will have been retired from the Navy for 30 years. It will also be the last month for those deductions from my retired pay that provide for my wife's survival retirement benefit. Several hundred a month for 30 years adds up to a lot of money and I will get a nice pay raise later this year. Some retiring members choose not to participate in this program and choose to buy a large term insurance policy which are almost never renewal after the age of 75, leaving their spouse with little or nothing.

I retired from my second career in 2005.

Many years ago I delivered meals and thought I would always do that, but I became a Senior Companion. I can NOT see my people now but normally I visit people and we play games, or I take them shopping or to the doctor or just out to lunch. If we go to a nutrition site, I get my lunch for free. A Senior Companion is paid a stipend. :ROFLMAO: That is as much as the minimum wage was in 1965 when the program was created, plus gas mileage.

Before the weather turned so cold I was seeing some of my people outside. I can not put anyone in my car right now, nor visit inside. I would settle for visiting outside if it were not so cold and if the number of infections would be back down! It just makes me happy to see my people even if it is only for a couple of minutes standing just outside their door.

for some after their regular career retirement .... it gives people a chance to do whatever type job you may want.to try..

my neighbor went to work 3 days a week at a country club for free golf..... as the money is not much to speak of....

The best part if you do not need an (X) amount of income ...retired people are gems for employers.................. since they can often deal with PT or taking fun seasonal things..... one can meet a lot of interesting people doing that.
Sorry

Last edited:
I'm still working full-time and waiting three years until I can get Medicare. I am so burned out by constant pressure & deadlines over the last 45 years that I would walk away tomorrow if I could. For 30 years I was a journalist with looming daily deadlines; now I work for a company that has deadlines from customers. I really think all the pressure has fried my brain. Looking forward to doing absolutely nothing except for some traveling!

I am so burned out by constant pressure & deadlines over the last 45 years that I would walk away tomorrow if I could
Yes! On the weekends I resolve that next week I'm will stay chill and not let myself get sucked into the pressure, but I'm never successful.

I retired in my 40’s but maintain a small part-time job that makes me no money really but it involves travel (in non Covid times) and they have a large expense and hospitality account so I get to stay in gold floor suites when I travel, and fly first class, and eat in really expensive restaurants - something I could never afford on my own and something my career in the civil service would never pay for.

DH and I mostly closed our small business six years ago, but held onto a few favorite wholesale customers. It brings in extra money and lets us do the part of our work we love best.

Business was down over 40% in 2020. Good thing we don't rely on the income.

Back