Who has hitchhiked?

Hitchhiked a couple of times that I can rememeber.
Once, a gfriend and I h-hiked back from Santa Cruz to our homes a few hours away. Luckily, a couple from a neighboring town gave us a ride.

Then, another time w/a diff gfriend up in the bay area. I think we were going to Sausalito, or near to where the boathouses are. The guy apparently was saying some off color things that I didn't hear and putting his hand on my friends leg.

Thank goodness, we made it safely to our destination.

I only hitchhiked once. When I was sixteen, I had run away from home and was trying to get to a girlfriend's house. I had been walking for miles and had blisters on both feet. I decided to try putting out my thumb. A car immediately stopped for me. It was a man of about thirty five or forty. He asked where I was going and I gave him the nearest cross street to where my friend lived. During the ride I started to feel uneasy; he kept glancing over at me. At one point, he placed a hand on my thigh and asked how old I was. I told him, and then moved away a bit. I started praying hard, that he wouldn't hurt me.

He looked at me again, then sighed, and said he had a daughter about my age and that I shouldn't be hitchhiking. He dropped me off where I had asked, and I nearly fell to my knees in gratitude that I hadn't been harmed.

No hitchhiking for me. Girls by themselves or even hitchhiking with a friend never seemed like a good idea to me. I walked. When I was a teenager, I often walked several city blocks on Saturday mornings to the hospital where I was a junior volunteer. Even walking on city streets, men would pull to the curb and ask me if I wanted a ride. I always refused. One morning, a guy kept following me after I refused. When he pulled to the curb again, I walked behind his car and said to him, "I have your license plate number. I'm giving it to my dad. He's a cop." The guy took off. Scumbag. I was prepared to run if he had gotten out of the car. No way was I gonna let him get his hands on me. I ran track in high school. He'd have to be an Olympic athlete to catch up with me.

Bella ✌️

@FastTrax - If "The Hitcher" doesn't put someone off hitchhiking, nothing will. :eek: I love "Freeway". Reese Witherspoon looks like a little angel but she's lethal! Talk about turn the tables! I think it's one of her best roles. "The Hitch-Hiker", is an oldie but goodie. Ida Lupino is one of my favorites, both her acting and directing. She was ahead of her time and walked a tightrope being the only woman in the Director's Guild.

"Death Proof", not exactly a hitchhiker film, but it's great Grindhouse. It was a bit talkie for me, I mean QT could've let the girls come up for air for a split second! 😁 You already know when it was first released it was double billed with Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror", which I'm sure you've seen. ;) Sam Peckinpah's got nothin' on these guys! 🙃

Bella ✌️

@FastTrax - If "The Hitcher" doesn't put someone off hitchhiking, nothing will. :eek: I love "Freeway". Reese Witherspoon looks like a little angel but she's lethal! Talk about turn the tables! I think it's one of her best roles. "The Hitch-Hiker", is an oldie but goodie. Ida Lupino is one of my favorites, both her acting and directing. She was ahead of her time and walked a tightrope being the only woman in the Director's Guild.

"Death Proof", not exactly a hitchhiker film, but it's great Grindhouse. It was a bit talkie for me, I mean QT could've let the girls come up for air for a split second! 😁 You already know when it was first released it was double billed with Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror", which I'm sure you've seen. ;) Sam Peckinpah's got nothin' on these guys! 🙃

Bella ✌️

There are three movies that actually caused me nightmares.

1. The Original Blob: "The scene where the blob absorbs ole doc"

2. House on Haunted Hill: The head in the hatbox scene.

3. The Hitcher: Pretty much every scene especially the scene where Cujo is eating the detectives brain. Urp. Well guess who is going to sleep in the "South Shady Pines" cafeteria, oops I meant the dining area. Yeah, that's what I meant. Now where is Sophia?

The only times I hitched were when my car broke down - and even then, I only put my thumb out once due to dangerous weather. The other couple of times, people just stopped ahead of me. I scoped them out and took my chances. I did pick up hitch-hikers in the 70's on occasion, but never with my kids in the car. If trouble ever arose, I had a plan - I'd put on my crazy-lady persona and scare them so bad they would beg me to let them get out!

When my car broke down I had no choice but to hitchhike from where I lived off an interstate freeway, far from the city, to my janitorial night job in the city. My children were in their teens and I could leave them alone. There was nothing at the exit and sometimes I had to talk real hard to convince a truck driver I had children waiting for me and I needed to get out of the truck in the middle of nowhere.

On a trip into the city, a guy offered me $10 for 10 minutes and I explained I was on a tight schedule but if he gave me his number I would call him. :sick: I was very glad to get out of that car.

I was very glad to move into the city where we all could ride the bus. I didn't really like my hitchhiking experiences.

The only times I hitched were when my car broke down - and even then, I only put my thumb out once due to dangerous weather. The other couple of times, people just stopped ahead of me. I scoped them out and took my chances. I did pick up hitch-hikers in the 70's on occasion, but never with my kids in the car. If trouble ever arose, I had a plan - I'd put on my crazy-lady persona and scare them so bad they would beg me to let them get out!
Yeap I have done that one too, but I was walking on a sidewalk when someone stuck what felt a knife in my back and told me to go into a large ditch where we would have been out of sight. I believe it was Blanche's lines from Street Car Named Desire. "You are a fine one to accuse me of it. Mother, Father, Margret in that dreadful way so large with it she had to be buried in a piano case." Or something like that. That was many years ago in L.A. and I was a drama student. It was when I thought it was important to be tough and black leather and smoking cigarettes made me tough. :LOL: I was a greaser.

I was about to shove him into the street when he put a screwdriver in his pocket. All my fear turned to rage. I wanted to beat him and he fled.

The second time I was walking from the train station in a Welsh city, again, not actually hitch hiking.

The person was supposed to pick me up from the train station, but did not appear. Long story.

Anyway, I was walking for a couple of miles, along leafy lanes with narrow roads and fields on either side with brambles and stone walls. Sheep and cows grazing in the sun.
cow-5486293__480.jpg
Idyllic. I was enjoying my long walk on a Sunday morning.

A small car (they were all small back then haha,) pulled up and two people called out to me. Thinking I was lost (I wasn't) or ill, no , or crazy to be walking on a road like that- could be hit by a car.

It was a young man about my age (19) and his grandmother. I thought, oh yeah, craazzyyy granny kidnaps young woman for her grandson! (Maybe the fresh country air was messing with my head, haha.)

Well, I did get in the car, we had a nice chat and they dropped me off at my family's house.

19 years old was a great year for me.
Nice picture of cows. I am glad your story had a happy ending.

I used to hitchhike to the bowling alley back in the '70s when I was a teen. Once I got picked up and the driver stopped at a convenience store to get cigarettes or something. He opened his glove compartment and there was this big wad of cash and a handgun. He took a bill from the wad and went to the store, leaving the rest of it and the gun in the glove compartment, which he locked.

When he came back, he checked the contents of his glove compartment, and when he saw that everything was in order, we continued on our way. He dropped me off at the bowling alley and that was the end of the story.

I have no idea what he was doing, but I assumed it was dealing drugs. I was a bit of a stoner back then and he probably sensed it, so he trusted me. We hardly talked on the trip so I really have no idea. I didn't ask him about the gun or the cash, and he didn't volunteer any information.

Life is strange. :ROFLMAO:

I hitchhiked around Europe, from Quebec to BC and back a few times. Vancouver to Mexico, when we got to the border in Mexico we took a bus with chickens, goats and people, what an experience, all the way to Mexico City.

Back