Who was the Father of Rock and Roll?

"Rocket 88" is a rhythm and blues song that was first recorded in Memphis, Tennessee, in March 1951. The recording was credited to "Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats", who were actually Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm. The single reached number-one on the Billboard R&B chart. The Rocket 88 was the Oldsmobile car. I know this because my 2nd car was a Oldsmobile 98. What a beauty. Lots of chrome, leather seats, dual exhausts, V8 motor, power seats and power windows. This was a 1956 98 Oldsmobile. I sold it to an antique car nut!

"Rocket 88" is a rhythm and blues song that was first recorded in Memphis, Tennessee, in March 1951. The recording was credited to "Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats", who were actually Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm. The single reached number-one on the Billboard R&B chart. The Rocket 88 was the Oldsmobile car. I know this because my 2nd car was a Oldsmobile 98. What a beauty. Lots of chrome, leather seats, dual exhausts, V8 motor, power seats and power windows. This was a 1956 98 Oldsmobile. I sold it to an antique car nut!

On the way from Clarkesdale MS to Sun Studio (before it was called that) in Memphis, the guitarist's amplifier was damaged which gave the distorted guitar effect to the recording that's one of the reasons it's referred to as the first rock recording.

A Sun Studio tour is a do-not-miss must if you're ever in the Memphis area. The original small building where so many legends recorded was sold to a guy who didn't do any remodeling other than to hang pegboard over the existing walls so it's now much the same as it was during the heyday of the Memphis music recording scene. Stax Museum is another must see.

Last edited:
You folks have it all wrong! Rock and roll started in the 1860s...

How do I know this to be true. I just do because I know I must be right. In a forum, we can be anything we want since nobody knows us, and therefore I must be right, or possibly "Mister Right", or anything but left behind. We have the pounding drums of the "big beat", and that started it all. Harrrrumph!

Kids these days, don't know nuttin' from nuttin'...

Tony

Last edited:
On the way from Clarkesdale MS to Sun Studio (before it was called that) in Memphis, the guitarist's amplifier was damaged which gave the distorted guitar effect to the recording that's one of the reasons it's referred to as the first rock recording.

A Sun Studio tour is a do-not-miss must if you're ever in the Memphis area. The original small building where so many legends recorded was sold to a guy who didn't do any remodeling other than to hang pegboard over the existing walls so it's now much the same as it was during the heyday of the Memphis music recording scene. Stax Museum is another must see.
I have been there twice. Anyone interested in early country/roll 'n roll should see it. This is where Johnny Cash recorded his 1st record (Hey Porter/Cry, Cry,Cry). More than that, this is where Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Charlie Rich, Carl Perkins and many others recorded their 1st songs. I once had a multi CD set that featured many of these early veterans of the music business. Sam Phillips was the man who recorded all these guys. A lot of music history in this place. I suppose that in many ways it's a shrine to Sam Phillips and all the rest of them "cats."

Back