Who would you hire?

I am not aware of any associations. I've exhausted the local guys who don't return my calls. Remember I live in a small town 30 miles form any large population centers. The kid I mentioned had to come 60 miles; the "pro" about 20. I did do soem online research, so I am expanding to the ones that got good reviews, even Angie's List.

The picture you posted makes me nervous about the possibility of damaging the adjoining properties. I would double-check your own homeowners/liability insurance policy and hire the guy with the deepest pockets even if it cost me a little bit more.

This is not the type of job you want to save money on; it could cost you everything you own & every dollar you have if you're not careful.
Check licenses, insurance, bonding & Yelp reviews. And also make sure to sign a release, so if the workers are not paid by the contractor, you are not liable. This information is available at the Gov. website. Type "Contractor's State License Board" & click "Search." You can enter the name, License number or Name of the Business. You can also see any disciplinary actions against the company.
I've had two large trees removed. One was $1,800.00 & the huge one was $2,500.00 (including stump removal.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, not sure where. My niece was having old, mostly dead trees and shrubbery cleared away for her garden . She has 10 acres. She also wanted a path cleared to a pond in the tree area, so she could drive her golf cart back there. A bit of a long walk. She wanted the cart for benefit of me, and her mom. We both do not get around well.
Anyway, she found an Amish community near her. They came out, for the estimate. The deal they made was they would do it for no charge if they could take all the wood. On top of that they offered to pay her for the wood. So they actually paid her to clear out some treas. Now she has them building a new garage for her (she bought lumber from a lumber yard. They are doing a great job and are dedicated to their work.

Had another tree service here. He got out of his truck and walked around. I was trying to explain what I wanted and he waved me off like he didn't want to hear it. I even had a diagram of how to shape thw trees and he walked away. Finally he reached in his pocket and took out a business card with his estimat already written on it, got in his truck and left. How could he have known how much it would cost beforehand?

Had another tree service here. He got out of his truck and walked around. I was trying to explain what I wanted and he waved me off like he didn't want to hear it. I even had a diagram of how to shape thw trees and he walked away. Finally he reached in his pocket and took out a business card with his estimat already written on it, got in his truck and left. How could he have known how much it would cost beforehand?
50d434d2bd69653ff54206ab01dcbd42.jpg

You might also want to check with your power and cable companies. Around here, if a tree is growing near our lines, and poses a potential hazard to those lines, our local provider will pay a tree service to have the trees trimmed or removed. They figure it is a lot cheaper to be proactive in keeping the lines clear than having to send a crew out in bad weather, etc., to undo a bunch of storm damage, or a tree that has fallen into the lines.

Seconding Don. Ours would do the part of the job that involved the lines.

Hire the kid and tell him you always like to watch the work being done. Dollar is a dollar and if you are saving several. If you are really a perfectionist, hire the most expensive one because you are going to have to look at them everyday. Tree trimmers are most often a rough bunch who do rough and dangerous work and everyone it always wants a professional job for a cheap price, but Be careful, sometimes fly by nighters scope your house out then come back and rob you. Good Luck...

Back