Why are so many cats unwanted?

The cat I loved and lost in 2005 after 19 years would put his favorite toy in his mouth, bring it over where I was, look up like he was begging then would drop the toy at my feet so I could throw it and he could chase it. Sometimes, he even brought it back to me.

I remember so well how he would stay by my side, never leaving, when I was in deep need. I've loved all my cats, but him the most. Don't know why, but I feel guilty when I say or think that!

He was declawed as a young cat. I was pregnant with my second, and he would scratch. I was wrong to do that of course, but at that time it was not an issue and I was ignorant about what declawing actually was.

As I read the information about cats, it occurs to me that cats are just as much work as dogs and just as expensive with their grooming. Animals really make me happy and my doctor recommended to me, long ago, that I always need to have one. 🤦🏻‍♀️ To avoid severe depression.

It‘s like I am in withdrawal. But a cat seems very much like a dog to me. But, I can not have any pet until next year until I am healed from my hip surgery so that is a good thing. Maybe, by that time, I will forget all about having a dog or cat.

Others pets, like birds etc, do not appeal to me at all. I looked up the Maine coon cat and while they seem nice they do seem to have more medical issues than a Rag Doll. But, what do I know, not much.

Has anyone ever raised a kitten and a puppy together?

I have never wanted to live with a cat who belongs to one breed. I have always found mutts, mixed breeds, American short hairs, etc. to be healthier. In general natch.

I have never wanted to live with a cat who belongs to one breed. I have always found mutts, mixed breeds, American short hairs, etc. to be healthier. In general natch.
My nephew's wife has had numerous cats over the years .. all from shelters. They've been the nicest cats I've ever known - and I've met a few crazy characters, but hers were just the sweetest. They all lived long lives, but are all gone now. I sat with one for a week. Precious boy - never once bit or scratched when I gave him his pills, 3x a day.

I have had dogs and cats and prefer cats as they are not as much trouble. I much prefer being staff than an owner.

I still miss my Maine Coone/Tabby cat but I can't get another one as hubby is allergic...sigh...

Back