Why do bad things happen to good people?

Misa thinks she will be quitting Dollar General in a couple months. She will need to find a new job somewhere....

Update on the Peripheral Neuropathy. I saw my neurologist Wednesday and we talked over the results of the MRI and EMG tests. My neck is arthritic and will need some PT. It is not the cause of the pain and burning in my ears, sinuses, abdomen, and legs. I have an appointment with an ENT doc Jan.6th. From what I can tell from being on zoom support groups for several months is that PN can happen to anybody at anytime, have totally different symptoms, and very few cases are cured....we learn to manage the symptoms. Now, after the meeting with the neurologist, I feel like I need to accept fully that this condition is permanent. That means I have to learn a new way of living.

Exercise regularly
Stay active mentally and emotionally
Enjoy things you like, and be grateful for what you have
Eat healthy
( This sounds like the regular life advice for all the SF members.:) )

It has been about a month since my last post and a lot has happened. I have exhausted all the neurologists referrals, and none of them can figure out where the pain is coming from. This is not very unusual for peripheral neuropathy. About 80% is idiopathic, and about 50% is quite severe. Mine is severe and is with me 24/7. I quit Physical Therapy because I couldn't sleep for a couple days after a session. I quit smoking Medical Marijuana thinking it was making my pain worse. I called my doctor and told him I need something to help me when the pain is up around 7-8...which is everyday now. He prescribed Tramadol. It works for a while but it is a brief time. My attitude is what has concerned me the most. I am becoming withdrawn, and stay in bed most of the day. This has lead to some some pretty negative thoughts and emotions. I really wonder if this illness will ever go away. I have been dealing with it for 9 months...everyday. I get very disappointed, and begin to feel like it is hopeless, then I just want to give up. I have had some thoughts about how to end this, but I am not ready to give up that way. I don't have much of a future if this continues, and I wonder where it is going to leave me. I feel basically crippled as it is, and if it gets worse, I have no idea what will happen. Someone suggested that I have some kind of long Covid symptoms. I took a home test a couple days ago and it was negative.
I am eating real food, and taking the supplements I need. I exercise about an hour a day. I will continue to do these things no matter my pain level. I am 70+ now, so I can't expect my health to be what it once was. It is just so exhausting dealing with this constantly. I remember many times in my life when I had very difficult /painful times, but none that was this intense for this long. It is by far the most challenging obstacle I have ever dealt with, and I am not doing very good at staying above the trouble.
I do plan on making a go of it again...that is, quit withdrawing from life and jump in when I can. I have felt a little unauthentic posting here at times because I am feeling so poorly. I guess sometimes it just helps though...getting involved no matter how I feel. I have noticed that I can feed an emotional downward spiral with negative thoughts. I will try to be aware when that is happening and stop it as soon as possible. I do want to thank all the support so many here have shown me, it does mean a lot to me.

Please, Pecos, try to stay away from the tramadol. It is a powerful opiod and that can lead to some nasty problems. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy and not a day goes by where I am pain free. I am lucky enough to be able to take aspirin, which is a Godsend to arthritics. It is also a very strong anti-inflammatory which calms the nerve endings. Gabapentin is also very helpful to many who suffer from these symptoms. Some doctors may diagnose what you are suffering as fibromyalgia as well, but I've never bought into that diagnosis. As a nurse, I am cynical when it comes to something of that nature. Neuropathy is a very real condition and can be debilitating if untreated. There are other meds available, but I haven't required them, although my pain level has hit as high as 7 at times. I've learned to grin and bear it for the past 20 years. I had hoped it would ease up at my age of 90, but it's the same. I keep active and walk without a cane or walker. Yes, it's a matter of pushing myself, but when I become involved in various undertakings, all is forgotten. Even for a little while. I wish you well and will keep my fingers crossed that you'll begin to feel better soon.

Please, Pecos, try to stay away from the tramadol. It is a powerful opiod and that can lead to some nasty problems. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy and not a day goes by where I am pain free. I am lucky enough to be able to take aspirin, which is a Godsend to arthritics. It is also a very strong anti-inflammatory which calms the nerve endings. Gabapentin is also very helpful to many who suffer from these symptoms. Some doctors may diagnose what you are suffering as fibromyalgia as well, but I've never bought into that diagnosis. As a nurse, I am cynical when it comes to something of that nature. Neuropathy is a very real condition and can be debilitating if untreated. There are other meds available, but I haven't required them, although my pain level has hit as high as 7 at times. I've learned to grin and bear it for the past 20 years. I had hoped it would ease up at my age of 90, but it's the same. I keep active and walk without a cane or walker. Yes, it's a matter of pushing myself, but when I become involved in various undertakings, all is forgotten. Even for a little while. I wish you well and will keep my fingers crossed that you'll begin to feel better soon.
@Paco Dennis I think this is for you.

Thank you for a very important post. I am quitting the Tramadol today. I have already noticed that it is addictive and that you need more of it to get the same result. ( that is after 5 days of 1 pill 50mg. ) Like you, I am having to learn to change my attitude, and stop the negative thinking. It does no good, in fact it leads me down a self induced pain/pity party.

I find Tramadol is weak & gives me a stomach ache. Nothing powerful or addictive about it IMO. Went back on Vicodin, even that is unimpressive. I want a new drug....🎵

I find Tramadol is weak & gives me a stomach ache. Nothing powerful or addictive about it IMO. Went back on Vicodin, even that is unimpressive. I want a new drug....🎵

I am sticking with Ibuprofen for now. I can't find a pain med that doesn't have significant side effects. Oh...I googled if Tramadol is addictive. Google says...

"Is tramadol an addictive pill?

Yes, Tramadol can be addictive, and it has the potential for people to develop tolerance, dependence, and subsequent addiction. Whenever a new prescription analgesic or painkiller comes out, people who struggle with prescription painkiller abuse become interested in the potential of the drug."

Yes, Tramadol can be addictive, and it has the potential for people to develop tolerance, dependence, and subsequent addiction. Whenever a new prescription analgesic or painkiller comes out, people who struggle with prescription painkiller abuse become interested in the potential of the drug."
Can be. Has the potential. Not for me it doesn't.

From my similar personal experience I am going to suggest you try an electric recliner. I got mine off Craigslist cheap. When I can't sleep I sleep in that chair. You can adjust the recline a little up or down. When I wake up in pain a small adjustment up or down usually does the trick. Gravity and repositioning is my fix. Also I love my walker. I use a "Nitro" model from Drive Medical. And no matter what your docs say, if you can get a second opinion (and your insurance will pay) Get one! If you can go to Mayo in Rochester, GO!

I am sticking with Ibuprofen for now. I can't find a pain med that doesn't have significant side effects. Oh...I googled if Tramadol is addictive. Google says...

"Is tramadol an addictive pill?

I switch between ibuprofen and the coated baby aspirin ( 4 at a time) . Both are beneficial but should not be taken together. So I switch between them e dry 4-6 hours.

I started this diary because I needed to work through some very difficult challenges about 18 months ago. I developed Peripheral Neuropathy, and it scared the be-jesus out of me. Since that time, everyday is different, and my pain goes from very strong, to I barely notice. It is very hard to control. I have learned more in the past year than anytime in my life about how to live.

Not what I can get out of life, but just how to live a balanced healthy and functional life. I have learned that my attitude towards things that are difficult are responsible for most of my moods and involvement in things other than "me". Dealing with a constant "problem", is mainly a state of mind. I have learned and am still learning how to change my attitude if it becomes too negative.

Even when the pain is near the top, and my mood is at it's lowest, there are ways to hang on, because all things pass with time. Sometimes that means being "sick", for awhile and taking care of myself. I need to rest everyday, and continue to exercise an attitude of acceptance and hope. By hope, I mean keeping my mind and emotions open to new experience. I have learned that nearly every moment we are alive, there is something new going on that has never been. There are surprises in every moment if we allow ourselves to see them.

I started this diary because I needed to work through some very difficult challenges about 18 months ago. I developed Peripheral Neuropathy, and it scared the be-jesus out of me. Since that time, everyday is different, and my pain goes from very strong, to I barely notice. It is very hard to control. I have learned more in the past year than anytime in my life about how to live.

Not what I can get out of life, but just how to live a balanced healthy and functional life. I have learned that my attitude towards things that are difficult are responsible for most of my moods and involvement in things other than "me". Dealing with a constant "problem", is mainly a state of mind. I have learned and am still learning how to change my attitude if it becomes too negative.

Even when the pain is near the top, and my mood is at it's lowest, there are ways to hang on, because all things pass with time. Sometimes that means being "sick", for awhile and taking care of myself. I need to rest everyday, and continue to exercise an attitude of acceptance and hope. By hope, I mean keeping my mind and emotions open to new experience. I have learned that nearly every moment we are alive, there is something new going on that has never been. There are surprises in every moment if we allow ourselves to see them.
I printed out your post here so that I can refer back to it. I needed it this morning and thank you for writing it. Especially the attitude problem.

Back