Why do we shout when we’re angry?

Ronni

The motormouth ;)
Why do we shout when we're angry?

Reading a Rumi quote and it really made me think.

The quote suggested that when people love each other, whether romantically or familiarly, they speak softly. They know each others' hearts and those hearts are close, sometimes so close that they don't even need words. A look speaks volumes.

It went on to suggest that we shout in anger, even when we're physically close, because our hearts have become distant. Therefore don't say things that will distance each other even more, or there may come a time when the distance is so great that you can no longer hear each other, or you won't find the path to return.

Wise words.

Frustration at not being heard.
I completely agree! But taking what the article is saying into account I feel like that just ends up being counterproductive.

I know that personally I am far less inclined to actually listen to and hear what someone is saying when they're yelling at me. I feel like they’re just being irrational and I have learned the hard way that trying to have a productive conversation with someone when they’re yelling is usually useless

I completely agree! But taking what the article is saying into account I feel like that just ends up being counterproductive.

I know that personally I am far less inclined to actually listen to and hear what someone is saying when they're yelling at me. I feel like they’re just being irrational and I have learned the hard way that trying to have a productive conversation with someone when they’re yelling is usually useless

I try not to yell it’s not healthy for me but sometimes people are very passive aggressive and it’s very frustrating when the games are being played, I sure wish people would be more authentic and honest. But then I don’t live in paradise LOL.

we all have done at one time more than once I say --kids being naughty - husbands dont listen first time lol- and bad drivers ''
it takes a lot for me to raise my voice but when I do it's heard usually by the neighbors hahaha '
thUUHJQHZ8.jpg

I dont shout when im angry. Because I sound inneffectual. Silent anger is just as potent anyway. Not that im advocating anger. Anger means weve lost control . But it also means we are human. I try to preface "it made me really angry when they said that ...
" for example.

I never shouted at my husband because being a woman, my voice goes all squeaky and shrill and he just laughed.
Haha. That's my problem too. I have to wait until I cool down a little to shout. That way I don't shout, I just raise my voice. I used to warn my kids to look out, mom's about to blow her stack. They'd start laughing and I'd have to laugh at the picture they must have had of mom blowing her stack.

There can be many reasons people shout be they natural shouters, frustration, really want to be heard, pent up anger.

Back