Why Food Companies Don't Hire Chefs Anymore

Did "chefs" ever make food for national/regional commercial distribution?

I believe the chemists & chemical engineers primarily design and monitor the products. It's actually "made" by factory production personnel. Producing a food product that will be eaten by millions of people is not a job for lightweights!

Did "chefs" ever make food for national/regional commercial distribution?

I believe the chemists & chemical engineers primarily design and monitor the products. It's actually "made" by factory production personnel. Producing a food product that will be eaten by millions of people is not a job for lightweights!
Actually yes. All fast food places have chefs in their corporate facilities. McDonalds if the most famous as they pay their chefs very well. Keep in mind many fast or junk food restaurants are world wide.

From what I remember, different companies have different food production strategies: Some operate strictly with food science engineers who create products for taste and mouth feel, and ease of mass production. Others employ chefs who create the old fashioned way, and THEN their creations are turned over to the food science engineers who try to produce a product that mimics the original, but has a longer shelf life, more durability, etc. Either way, the long list of chemical ingredients make it onto the labels of the final product.

With the above in mind, cooking your own meals, using the freshest, natural ingredients, is the way to go, as I see it. I avoid most processed foods.

Back