Why I love my small community. Get out your hankies....

Mrs. Robinson

I belong to a FB group that reports on local scanner traffic-and we just gab about all kinds of other stuff. Yesterday a mom posted that she was at a local park with her 7 year old son for his birthday party and none of the invited guests had shown up. The boy was crushed (of course). So she wanted to know if anyone close by wanted to bring their kids by for cake and to hit a pinata. Well,my friend that runs the dog rescue (and gave me my new dog Gigi) sprang into action and messaged everyone she could think of with kids and also contacted the local fire department. Within an hour or so,there were 8 kids and 8 adults and the fire department arrived in their big,shiny fire engine! Everyone brought gifts and the party was a huge success. Here are some pics and this is what his mom wrote on the group page this morning...."
Everyone who helped us celebrate Gabryal's birthday and help spread the word did wonders. What everyone doesn't know is that Gabryal is disabled. I did not make this known and people still helped. And for one full day he was just a kid surrounded by love and friendship. This community really banded together and made a boys wish come true.
His Birthday wish was to make a friend. And he sure did. "

Attachments

• Birthday.jpg
    Birthday.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Birthday boy.jpg
    Birthday boy.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Birthday boy 2.jpg
    Birthday boy 2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
I love that. I have been through that kind experience though with a female friend at the age of 15. She attended school on base and I was in school in the community. She invited her school friends for her birthday celebration and not one of them showed up, except for me. We had a good time anyway. She was overweight and people can be so cruel. I hope those people got theirs. That may be mean of me, but I hope truly they did.

Love how Fire Dept stepped up to the plate. šŸ¤—

You would have to live here to really know how much we love and appreciate our firefighters. So many of us still have our homes due to their hard work and dedication. We have had a major wildfire every year since 2015 here-more than one in a couple of those years-and wherever you drive in this county you still see large signs put up saying "Thank You Firefighters"! Yet they have it in them to still make a little boy`s day. Such awesome guys (and ladies!)

And we would love to have you,Jim! The biggest drawback to living here is our lack of high level medical care. If you have a heart attack or other serious illness or injury,better plan on a helicopter ride to an out of county hospital. We just can`t handle it here. Last night there was a serious car accident out on the highway. Apparently a crash was reported and when first responders got there,all they could see was a dead mountain lion (!) in the road. But farther up they discovered the crash-a 3 vehicle head on collision. Apparently the one drive swerved to avoid the lion (hit it anyway) and then hit two other cars head on. They had to call ground ambulances and four air ambulances to take the nine injured people away-some to the local hospital but four out of county.

I remember Mom taking my brother and me to San Francisco for new clothes for school. Of course that was back during the war. The main thing is, it's worth traveling out of the county when necessary to get services you cannot there for the reward living there on Clear Lake.

Last edited:
What a sad story with a very happy ending. Thanks for the day brightener, Mrs. R. The photo of the birthday boy's smile really does say it all.

Back