Wild life on our morning walk

We typically see a couple of coyote walking thru one field that adjoins the jogging path. This morning a couple were close to the parking lot , I got as close as I could to get pictures.
Thanks for the pictures, can be hard to get close I know.
The modern coyote doesn't seem to be very skittish
They seem drawn to town
Coyotes have moved into a lot of cities and towns. They are the one predator that has managed to adapt to live around humans, lots more coyotes and coyotes in lots more places today than ever before. Fewer bears, wolves, mountain lions and so on. When the wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone coyote populations were decimated. Not a practical solution in most cities... Urban coyote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_coyote

Hear their howling in the evenings at times.
I really enjoy listening to a pack of coyotes howling, nothing quite like it.

Last edited:

Coyotes have moved into a lot of cities and towns. They are the one predator that has managed to adapt to live around humans, lots more coyotes and coyotes in lots more places today than ever before. Less bears, wolves, mountain lions and so on. When the wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone coyote populations were decimated. Not a practical solution in most cities... Urban coyote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_coyote

We don’t have coyotes in Alexandria being close to D.C., but we have a lot of other animals, if you catch my drift.

When I first moved in to this development, we used to have a guy that would fire a pellet gun that sounded like a real gun going off. I don’t know anything about them, so maybe it’s controlled by a blank .22 or some type of gas, but anyway, every now and then, I would hear this gun going off, so one day I asked the neighbor where that gunfire was coming from. He said one older guy the next street over would fire at a gaggle of geese that would hang out at the nearby park. He said he was tired of the mess they made. They were messy. The cops finally were called and told him that he wasn’t allowed to fire any weapon within ‘x’ amount of feet or yards of a residence, so he quit. In the springtime because so many geese gathered in the park because of the pond they hung at, it was a huge mess. The community bought a canon of some sort that would fire a blank shotgun shell by however the timer was set up to do so. After a few years now, I have noticed the geese numbers have really gone down. Has anyone ever heard one of these canons? They are loud. Not everyone approves if thus canon, but at least the little kids have a much cleaner place to play.

Farmers in the UK used to have bird scarers which consisted of penny bangers on a string of slow burning fuse at suitable intervals. Little boys used to steal the bangers so they came up with a gas gun using a propane bottle and timer, not sure exactly how they work.

Coyotes have moved into a lot of cities and towns. They are the one predator that has managed to adapt to live around humans, lots more coyotes and coyotes in lots more places today than ever before. Fewer bears, wolves, mountain lions and so on. When the wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone coyote populations were decimated. Not a practical solution in most cities... Urban coyote https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_coyote

We heard them in the bottom land again last night...they are following the feral hog migration - bet on that. Its great as it keeps the pigs from rooting around on the property.

We have an assortment of both wildlife and urban feral life in our front yard. There are opossums in the back yard and Racoons both in the front and back yards. There are several cats who visit to snack, plus a flock of crows and other birds. It's fun to watch them . MMy daughter named the head crow Mortimer. We put up cameras front and back and caught the Racoons - a very well fed mamma and her equally well fed half grown youngsters. They're just adorable.

Back