Wild Turkey what's in your yard

Deer are so much fun to watch. Ours migrate south about end of December 1st week January, snow gets to deep for em.
But they come back end of March or April we started seeing them about two weeks ago. Beautiful animals...
And we used to get a lot of wild turkeys 🦃 where we lived but I haven’t seen one in a long while. Now I see a lot of grouse , geese, and sea ducks

Deer are fun to watch. These ones are so used to seeing people that they don’t spook easily.

Deer are so much fun to watch. Ours migrate south about end of December 1st week January, snow gets to deep for em.
But they come back end of March or April we started seeing them about two weeks ago. Beautiful animals...
Yeah, that's what our mulies do
They head down to Christmas Valley late fall
Back in April/May

Here they are in summer
Waiting for our garden to mature

deer are back.jpg 5.jpg

We've got plenty bear, cougar, bobcat, badger

but the birds were quite the fascination for me

Especially the baldies

baldy.jpg

Last edited:
There are geese with babies around the walking paths where I live, they are growing up so fast though, they were just yellow fluffballs the first day I saw them, but every day they are bigger and browner...

View attachment 283268
Those are Canada Geese. Lots of them around here, but not in our yard. They favor lawns near water. There is a great Canada Goose movie you really should see — in fact all bird admirers would love it, Fly Away Home, the story of a very special Canada Goose migration.

Last edited:
Those are Canada Geese. Lots of them around here, but not in our yard. They favor lawns near water. There is a great Canada Goose movie you really should see — in fact all bird admirers would love it, Fly Away Home, the story of a very special Canada Goose migration.
The true story of the girl who raised geese and refused to let the authorities clip their wings . Her father and her added wings to an airplane and showed them the migration route down south and each year they came back to where she lived. The geese wouldn’t have made it without her.

We get many other animals on our property.
Plenty of bald eagles, coyotes, hummingbirds , goldfinches, purple finches, chickadees, nuthatches, blue jays, grosbeaks, doves, gracklings, crows, sparrows, junkoes, robins, squirrels , the odd raccoon. I’m sure there are others I’ve forgotten. Here’s a few pics of some of those8B3DD1DF-C3B0-41C3-8C54-FF0972F00485.jpegB4A384E6-4AD3-4B4E-9402-88A17C957BE1.jpeg5114DDB7-7C48-4524-873A-2F7388F0F07C.jpeg94E765A7-7563-4A85-BE0C-36AC1426DED4.jpeg

We get many other animals on our property.
Plenty of bald eagles, coyotes, hummingbirds , goldfinches, purple finches, chickadees, nuthatches, blue jays, grosbeaks, doves, gracklings, crows, sparrows, junkoes, robins, squirrels , the odd raccoon. I’m sure there are others I’ve forgotten.
I am envious. Bald Eagles! I suspect you live a bit further north than California. Not many of those around here, but we do get Golden Eagles. In this area wind turbines have been killing 100 Golden Eagles a year in our Altamont Pass. Such is a price of environmentalism. Grrr.

We have lots of squirrels, chipmunks, and bunnies. Tons of different kinds of birds. We often see deer tracks in the back yard because they come from a nearby woods at night. Stray cats... and more recently there have been reports of coyotes coming right into town and surrounding areas... can't say I like that very much! Once or twice a year I hear of a bear or two getting close, but I'm glad I've never seen them.

Last edited:
My erstwhile partner, now very close friend, lives in MA near RI and gets wild turkeys in his yard every year.

We had a huge skunk in our backyard last year and we have hawks (so cool) in the tree behind the yard, but I don't have pictures. --Wish I did; the hawks are amazing and that skunk was not at all what I was expecting in a skunk.

We have lots of squirrels, chipmunks, and bunnies. Tons of different kinds of birds. We often see deer tracks in the back yard because they come from a nearby woods at night. Stray cats... and more recently there have been reports of coyotes coming right into town and surrounding areas... can't say I like that very much! Once or twice a year I hear of a bear or two getting close, but I'm glad I've never seen them.
We have birds, bunnies and squirrels, but they are so ubiquitous I kind of don't see them anymore. Well, unless it's a flashy bird like a Cardinal or a Goldfinch, or the dog is attempting to chase one of the bunnies or squirrels with me on the other end of the leash. :/

We have Geese here too and it's fun to see them flying over in their V formations.
Love that movie. ♥

I live in a nature preserve community. We have woods, trails and lakes. Present are black bears, coyotes, alligators, possums, armadillos, bobcats, raccoons, gopher tortoise, key deer, a variety of snakes, squirrels, bald eagles, hawks, sandhill cranes, owls, and lots of birds.
Some of my neighbors say that they have spotted a panther as well. I have not seen the panther yet, nor have I been nose to nose with a black bear! ( I am not sure about the presence of the panther however, I know that the bears are there!)
We have a lot of construction and growth in our area that disturbs their habitat.

Back