Will you eat in an enclosed Restaurant when the door's open?

I will likely continue to observe nearly all of the safe-at-home precautions through July, perhaps longer. Our governor and mayor are very conservative about opening areas back up. They'll probably see how relaxing the restrictions works out for other states before dipping their toes in that water.

Even so, there are some restrictions I would feel comfortable loosening. For instance, I'd be ok with dropping my dog to our groomer and picking him up a few hours later.

It will probably be a very long while before I dine-in at a restaurant, but I can see having a backyard family BBQ where we kept the 6 foot distance, served ourselves buffet-style, used paper goods (or everyone cleared their own plates and loaded them into the dishwasher), etc.

I'm interested to see what other SF members are thinking about which restrictions they'd feel comfortable loosening first.

I will do my best to social distance and self-quarantine until a vaccine is available.

Going out to socialize will depend on how important the event is to me and the people that I care about.

If I felt it was important I would go to a traditional restaurant that has made an effort to adapt by doing what it can to protect employees and customers.

For me, it's not so much what I do going forward but how I choose to do it.

Even with a vaccine, it will be some time before we go out to eat unless it is an open air facility with lots of room between tables and a staff wearing masks and clearly practicing safe procedures. Even then, it will be at least a year before we venture out, and the food had better be over-the-top good.

As for getting on a plane, forget it.

No but even a year or two from now I think I might carry in wipes to wipe the table and chair. Only when I get a shot of the proven vaccine will I return. Ever notice how most places clean their tables using a wet rag on all of the tables?

Yes. About 5 years ago my hubby and I went to the local Pizza Hut. Run pretty much by the highschool kids. One of the waitresses seated us and gave us menus and was turning to leave. I said "excuse me, could we get the table cleaned?". She proceeded to grab a napkin that was sitting on the table and swish it around in the spilled water pop and ice cubes on the table top. Hubby and I looked at each other and both got up and walked out. Haven't been back there since.

Carrying your own wipes isn't a bad idea. We probably should have told the manager, but this wasn't the only instance of filthy tables at that place. I can't believe it's still in business.

No, I won't go indoors again in a restaurant or pub for a very long time after the lockdown is lifted... I'll stay outside , which is what I usually do anyway unless it's raining, but now the difference will be that if it's raining I simply won't go out to eat.. an d I will only go to places where they are making a real effort to keep the seating properly distanced.

My one concern though is that what about things like plates and glassware, or coffee cups carried by a waiter who may be a carrier.. ..it's all a possibility.. and I'm very much an olutdoorsy person so I don't want to give myself too many excuses not to go out , but I can't help thinking of those types of scenarios.. and also we spend a lot of time at beach bars and restaurants abroad, and almost all are packed, so I think we may have to just see how we get on.. and I don't rule out wearing a mask as they do in Hong KOng for smog.. hot as it might be to do so during the summer...

Since I have never been much to dine out anyway, don't see doing it now. Unless of course it's a quick fast food Wendy's burger on a busy day.

You have described me to a TEE, Lee! Eating out used to be an enjoyable experience! Restaurants have gotten where they want to get you in and out as fast as they can. They have went from a pleasure experience, to all business!

I went by my local Lowe's and it was packed with people in the garden section outdoors but I wonder if you can caught it outside? Everyone wasn't six feet apart.
Naw, your alright! If that would have been Walmart, maybe a different story perhaps! lol. Aww, just messin with you, you'll be okay!

Not many choices for decent restaurants around here, but I'll be first in line when they open. I'm really, really tired of eating my own cooking. Plus, my guess is that many of us have already been exposed but didn't show any symptoms.

(cough, cough)

Back