Woman who called police on black man in Central park sues ex-employer

Once again, an angry white woman is referred to as a "Karen". This always pisses me off. I have known women in my life that were named Karen, and they were perfectly nice people. None I have know were bigoted.
I never referred to her as a Karen!

No, but the press is...

I agree with @Paladin1950 there are a lot of good women named Karen, my stepsister is one. I hate to see the name being maligned.

‘Central Park Karen’ loses appeal over firing from job
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/central-park-karen-amy-cooper-appeal-b2354202.html
Just so you know, over the decades other names have been used to describe White women who did vicious things and the nature of what they did used to be attached to their names: "Miss Ann", "Cornerstore Caroline", "Permit Patty" and "Barbeque Becky". Here is part of a very detailed history of the use of the name from Wikipedia:
"In African-American culture, there is a history of calling difficult white women or those who "weaponize" their position by a generic pejorative name.[7] In the antebellum era (1815–1861), "Miss Ann" was used.[8] In the early 1990s, "Becky" was used.[9] As late as 2018, before the use of "Karen" caught on, alliterative names matching particular incidents were used, such as "Barbecue Becky", "Cornerstore Caroline", and "Permit Patty".[10] Linguist Kendra Calhoun connects "Karen" stereotypes to the older "soccer mom".[11]

For the term "Karen", several possible origins have been proposed.[12] Early uses of Karen as a joke punchline include the airheaded character Karen (played by Amanda Seyfried) from the 2004 film Mean Girls, Dane Cook's 2005 sketch "The Friend Nobody Likes" on his album Retaliation,[13] and a 2016 Internet meme regarding a woman in an ad for the Nintendo Switch console who exhibits perceived antisocial behavior and is given the nickname "antisocial Karen".[14][15] In December 2017, Karen memes regarding entitled women went viral on Reddit, the earliest being from user karmacop9, who ranted about his ex-wife Karen. The posts led to the creation of the subreddit r/****YouKaren, containing memes about the posts, and inspiring spinoffs including r/karen and r/EntitledKarens dedicated to criticizing Karens.[13][14]

A more pointed explanation, which involves race, is the expression originating among Black people to refer to unreasonable white women.[9][16] The term was popularized on Black Twitter as a meme used to describe white women who "tattle on black kids' lemonade stands"[9] or who unleash the "violent history of white womanhood".[7] Now defunct Bitch magazine[note 1] described Karen as a term that originated with Black women but was co-opted by white men.[17] In an article on high profile incidents in the U.S. of white women calling the police on Black people, The Guardian called 2020 "the year of Karen".
[4]

I became friends with a woman of color when I joined the senior center in 2019. She often talked about her daughter who had stage 4 cancer. Turns out her daughter was a fan of my son and faithfully attended his house music parties even while sick. I saw her there (not knowing who her mother was) and often thought she reminded me of me. It was months before the coincidence was discovered when one of them saw my picture and told the other where they knew me from. Her name was Karen and cancer took her a couple of years ago. She was a very nice person who was well loved and duly honored at her services.

Just so you know, over the decades other names have been used to describe White women who did vicious things and the nature of what they did used to be attached to their names: "Miss Ann", "Cornerstore Caroline", "Permit Patty" and "Barbeque Becky".
Thanks @OneEyedDiva I didn't know that.

Too bad real names have to be used, I'd prefer something more like a**hole... But maybe that's harder to say in public.

Thanks @OneEyedDiva I didn't know that.

Too bad real names have to be used, I'd prefer something more like a**hole... But maybe that's harder to say in public.
Well words like that used to be harder to say in public but seems like not anymore! I've even seen news articles that contain the F word. Yes too bad made up names can't be used but names have gotten so weird now that someone might name their child the made up word. :LOL: I would like to think that we're all intelligent enough to know that every Karen on the planet is not a bad person. And what about devastating storms having real people's names?!

And what about devastating storms having real people's names?!
I think you are safe from that one, LOL!

Fewer girls have been named Katrina since the storm. Guess I wouldn't care about the name of a Hurricane Rob, but I don't think my name is on the list.

How hurricanes wreck baby names
https://www.axios.com/2022/08/28/how-hurricanes-wreck-baby-names

Using names is relatively new, it began in 1950 with Able, Baker, Charlie, etc. A few years later the National Weather Service starting using women's names and now men's names are also used.

Retired Hurricane Names
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/articles/retired-hurricane-names

Back