Woman who called police on black man in Central park sues ex-employer

Update. The Defendant's Motion to dismiss, imo, will be granted after review. That lawyer who took this case was from Mars no doubt 🙄.

ORDER: Oral argument on the motion to dismiss is hereby scheduled for July 22, 2022 at 10:00 a.m. in Courtroom 1506 of the Thurgood Marshall U.S. Courthouse located at 40 Foley Square, New York, New York 10007. SO ORDERED. Oral Argument set for 7/22/2022 at 10:00 AM in Courtroom 1506, 40 Centre Street, New York, NY 10007 before Judge Ronnie Abrams. (Signed by Judge Ronnie Abrams on 5/11/2022) (kv)

Update: August 9th.

ORDER: Oral argument on the motion to dismiss is hereby scheduled for September 14, 2022 at 3:00 p.m. in Courtroom 1506 of the Thurgood Marshall U.S. Courthouse located at 40 Foley Square, New York, New York 10007.

I am SO glad to read this! I hope she had to pay her lawyers lots of money. I also hope this makes it hard for her to find decent work. This should serve as a strong message to those like her and there have been too many over the past few years. @ohioboy

I am SO glad to read this! I hope she had to pay her lawyers lots of money. I also hope this makes it hard for her to find decent work. This should serve as a strong message to those like her and there have been too many over the past few years. @ohioboy
Yeah, there is no way this law firm accepted this case on a "pay only if you win" axiom. In my non lawyer opinion, her Counsel knew in their minds she would not win, so you can bet she dished out for monthly or quarterly billing.

I, for one, hope she wins. Being terminated for things waaay outside of her employment is going too far. It would be like me getting fired as an accountant (which I was) for a traffic violation.

And yes I understand "at will" employment...
That's a good point, actually. Her employers may have been concerned that she would be thought typical of their staff and causing a negative image, but what you do in your personal life shouldn't affect your employment.

Amy Cooper, a white woman, who called the police on a birdwatcher in Central Park, a black man, alleging he was threatening her was terminated from her job. Now check this laugh out. She is suing for Race discrimination under 42 USC 1981. Race discrimination, c'mon now. Read the whole complaint if you have time, but the Counts (causes of action) start at paragraph 89, a 7 count complaint. She is also suing for Defamation. You've got to be kidding!!

https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-co...my-Cooper-v.-Franklin-Templeton-Complaint.pdf
Silly hysterical woman. I remember reading about it. She behaved disgracefully.

I rewatched the video because my recollection was a little hazy. Apparently the man merely asked her to leash her dog, in accordance with both the law and posted signs. That was his "threatening" behavior toward her and her dog.

What's particularly interesting is that during her 911 call she eventually snapped the leash on her dog, at which point the man said "Thank you" and stopped taping.

Sorry, Karen. You instigated this problem by ignoring the law and refusing to immediately comply when he first requested that you leash your dog. Bad luck for you that he videotaped the encounter, it went viral, and your employer (Franklin Templeton) dismissed you.

Actions have consequences.

I rewatched the video because my recollection was a little hazy. Apparently the man merely asked her to leash her dog, in accordance with both the law and posted signs. That was his "threatening" behavior toward her and her dog.

What's particularly interesting is that during her 911 call she eventually snapped the leash on her dog, at which point the man said "Thank you" and stopped taping.

Sorry, Karen. You instigated this problem by ignoring the law and refusing to immediately comply when he first requested that you leash your dog. Bad luck for you that he videotaped the encounter, it went viral, and your employer (Franklin Templeton) dismissed you.

Actions have consequences.

And she just keeps embarrassing herself. Publicly!

She is NOT going to let that uppity ni... er, that, uh, that...that mean Black man get away with this.

Amy Cooper, a white woman, who called the police on a birdwatcher in Central Park, a black man, alleging he was threatening her was terminated from her job. Now check this laugh out. She is suing for Race discrimination under 42 USC 1981. Race discrimination, c'mon now. Read the whole complaint if you have time, but the Counts (causes of action) start at paragraph 89, a 7 count complaint. She is also suing for Defamation. You've got to be kidding!!

https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-co...my-Cooper-v.-Franklin-Templeton-Complaint.pdf
Once again, an angry white woman is referred to as a "Karen". This always pisses me off. I have known women in my life that were named Karen, and they were perfectly nice people. None I have know were bigoted.

I am glad this woman is making little to no progress with her lawsuit. And am glad the birdwatcher seems to be doing well.

Something like this happened to me once. About 20 years ago my wife and I shared a small building in rural North Florida, a very redneck place. She was a therapist and sometimes her clients preferred to wait outside on our porch, or walk around until their time came. One day a black man was waiting on the porch and the neighbor across the street called the police. She said that there were no black people living in the town so the man must have been up to no good. It was very embarrassing for us, hard to explain it to my wife's client.

I knew the lady who called the police, and up until then had a generally favorable impression. Thinking about it I believe the woman was just stupid and honestly thought she was doing best. She obviously did not think of the consequences of her actions. She had my phone number and I was in the building at the time, she could have called me instead of the police... Anyway I don't think that lady was evil, just backward. I know she was not very educated or literate, and came across as well below average IQ. Not making excuses just telling you what the one person I knew who did something like this was. It was true that the little town had no black residents, but there were plenty of black people living within a 20 mile radius or so. Not an unusual sight...

Oh, my "generally favorable" impression of her went way down after the incident. White trash now.

The one good thing was that when the police arrived both the policeman and the black man behaved well. The policeman quickly figured out what had happened, and the black man showed patience with the policeman. It ended peacefully, I know that does not always happen.

Last edited:
I am glad this woman is making little to no progress with her lawsuit. And am glad the birdwatcher seems to be doing well.

Something like this happened to me once. About 20 years ago my wife and I shared a small building in rural North Florida, a very redneck place. She was a therapist and sometimes her clients preferred to wait outside on our porch, or walk around until their time came. One day a black man was waiting on the porch and the neighbor across the street called the police. She said that there were no black people living in the town so the man must have been up to no good. It was very embarrassing for us, hard to explain it to my wife's client.

I knew the lady who called the police, and up until then had a generally favorable impression. Thinking about it I believe the woman was just stupid and honestly thought she was doing best. She obviously did not think of the consequences of her actions. She had my phone number and I was in the building at the time, she could have called me instead of the police... Anyway I don't think that lady was evil, just backward. I know she was not very educated or literate, and came across as well below average IQ. Not making excuses just telling you what the one person I knew who did something like this was. It was true that the little town had no black residents, but there were plenty of black people living within a 20 mile radius or so. Not an unusual sight...

Oh, my "generally favorable" impression of her went way down after the incident. White trash now.
So did your wife lose that client because of your neighbor?

Back