Wonderful Potatoes!!

When I was a kid we always had a bowl of leftover potatoes in the refrigerator.

They were about the only convenience food or meal starter that we always had on hand.

Brown crispy fried leftover potatoes for breakfast.

The scorched potatoes next to the side of the pan in a pot roast.

Boiled salt potatoes.

Creamed potatoes with peas served with a fried ham steak.

Baked potatoes with codfish gravy.

Potato salad.

A thousand ways. 🐷

The truth is I only have them a few times a year. 😢

These days, by myself, I like to buy a little bag of red potatoes to have on hand.
I just boil the whole bag, and put them in the refrigerator in a bowl.
When I feel like snacking on something, I just take one potato and eat it like that .. Plain, but it beats eating sweets.

I think this habit of mine is a hold over from my younger days, when I thought eating whole raw potatoes was a good thing. 😀

It's not just potatoes.. there are many varieties and many of these are regional too. What you do with them depends on the variety. My favourite way of serving potatoes is "Pommes boulangere" - thinly sliced floury potatoes layered with onions , thyme and garlic softened in butter, covered with vegetable stock and baked till golden on top.

I too love potatoes all ways. Love potato chips.

In the winter I bake extra. Then cut up the cold leftover potatoes with chopped onion put it in a small glass corning dish, add a little oil and throw it in the oven.

Cook some bacon in the skillet, fry up a batch of potatoe slices in the bacon grease, add some sliced red peppers and andouille sausage (but not so much sausage that you over power the potatoes), cook and serve. Easy skillet dish. Sometimes I add onion slices to the pool.

Back