• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the day: Anglosphere

RubyK

Anglosphere: English-speaking countries considered collectively (the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and Ireland).

Unfortunately, the Anglosphere has been stricken by a viral pandemic. Other countries have been affected also, but I wanted to use Anglosphere in a sentence.

AnglosphereEnglish-speaking countries considered collectively (the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, and Ireland).
You have missed out a few, much too long to list there another fifty four countries where English is the official language. Some countries, like India, have more than one language, not simply a dialect but completely different languages, so they have adopted English as a unifying language. I don't know if it's the rule today, but there was a time in India when you had to speak English to enter the legal system, politics, the armed forces and so many more. Here's that list of Anglosphere countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...itories_where_English_is_an_official_language

I think, rather than arguing about which countries have English as their official language, it is more accurate to refer to the Anglosphere as being those countries where white Europeans have settled.

Interesting to know that the Anglosphere countries share some cultural traits that still persist today, because of historic links.

Back