• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Cantankerous

Ruthanne

SF VIP
Use cantankerous in a sentence. adjective. The definition of cantankerous is someone who is bad tempered, grumpy or looking for an argument. An example of cantankerous is a grumpy old man who lives on your street who is always watching the neighborhood kids to find something to yell at them about.

I can usually get grumpy and discouraged, without being cantankerous toward others, but not always.

Did anyone else's spellchecker reject their first spelling, of the word...... cantakrooous?

Does anyone else think it just has too darn many letters?!!! :mad::cautious:o_O😫😡

;)

Last edited:
In my childhood neighborhood there was a cantankerous man who loved his lawn and was constantly telling the kids to "get off my grass!!"
My husband tells of a funny story dating back to his school days, when a homeowner yelled at dear husband and his friend to quit cutting cross the corner of his property, and of course being school-age and all, dear husband and friend took that as an invitation to cut across the corner of the homeowners lawn even more.

Nonetheless, one morning the homeowner had reached his end with dear husbands and friends antics, and was waiting for them with running shoes on, and when dear husband and friend cut across his lawn, a chase ensued, but being in their prime, dear husband and friend dusted the homeowner, and in doing so, laughed and mocked the poor man when he accepted defeat, all out of breath. 👟

Back