• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day - Cere

Cere (noun) - a fleshy, membranous covering of the base of the upper mandible of a bird through which the nostrils open.

To determine the gender of a parakeet, look at its cere. The male has a cere that is either a pink, blue, or purplish-blue color. The female has a cere that is either white, light tan, or light blue.

parakeets.jpg

Not all birds have distinct ceres, therefore a visible cere can help narrow down a bird's species quickly. The color, size, shape, and texture can all also be great clues to the specific bird showing a cere, particularly if the cere contrasts well with the bill or facial plumage coloration.

My Parakeet Jasmine has a light tan cere with a few speckles of blue on the bottom. Her body feathers are a beautiful skyish blue while her head feathers are white. Her flight feathers are white, black and gray speckled. She is gorgeous!

In Australia those little Parakeets are known as Budgies or Budgerigars and they are native to Australia
The male Budgerigars with their purple ceres can be taught to talk but one does need patience
One of my departed males spoke. I would repeat things to him and he'd say them back after awhile. He was very smart and a wonderful little fellow. His cere turned a pretty blue when he was full grown.

Last year, I bought two baby budgies after my old one died. My other bird is some sort of parrot and I wondered why it seemed to prefer one budgie over the other. Now that the cere colour has developed, I can see that the favoured one is female, the other is male.

I have never owned a pet bird and it is interesting to learn about a cere. I am a birdwatcher and feed them all through the winter. Now I wonder if a wild bird has a cere.

Back