• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day... Flatulence

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
Flatulence: the accumulation of gas in the alimentary canal.
"foods that may cause flatulence"

inflated or pretentious speech or writing; pomposity.
"the flatulence characterizing his writings"

Hmm..... a flatulent speech, or someone's flatulent writings..... :unsure:

I hadn't heard that usage of the term, in the past,
but that's one of the great things about these WOTD threads! :geek::)

I probably will still not personally be using it for that meaning anyway. ;)
But I always enjoy learning something new.
:)

There's a slang word for flatulence in Brit-speak and that's, "guff." In my youth I was meeting up with a friend, he and I were out on the town. In the bar where we met there was a group of young ladies also meeting up, they were eight in all. Chances are that they too were out on the town.

Eight young ladies, all talking at once, they didn't seem to stop to draw breath. One of them though was more alpha than the others. She suddenly announced: "It's no good girls, I've got to guff." And she did, loud and proud, causing much ribald laughter among her cohorts. She then stared accusingly at some nerdy looking fellow standing at the bar, he felt so uncomfortable that he got up and left. Cue more laughter. There was yet more laughter when the stink made it's presence.

My friend made me smile, as we too got up to leave. "Dirty cow," he said, "and to think that I took a fancy to her." "Never mind," I replied, "look upon it as a bullet dodged."

OK, look here, if you're going to carry on about a hoity-toity word for farting (i.e, flatulence), then you should at least acknowledge the word "flatulist" or one who farts for entertainment. There are such people, with one of the most famous being Le Pétomane. Being deceased, there's no good video of his skill; however, a flatulist did appear on Britain's Got Talent (see below). If you find flatulence or flatulists gross, don't watch it.

There's a slang word for flatulence in Brit-speak and that's, "guff." In my youth I was meeting up with a friend, he and I were out on the town. In the bar where we met there was a group of young ladies also meeting up, they were eight in all. Chances are that they too were out on the town.

Eight young ladies, all talking at once, they didn't seem to stop to draw breath. One of them though was more alpha than the others. She suddenly announced: "It's no good girls, I've got to guff." And she did, loud and proud, causing much ribald laughter among her cohorts. She then stared accusingly at some nerdy looking fellow standing at the bar, he felt so uncomfortable that he got up and left. Cue more laughter. There was yet more laughter when the stink made it's presence.

My friend made me smile, as we too got up to leave. "Dirty cow," he said, "and to think that I took a fancy to her." "Never mind," I replied, "look upon it as a bullet dodged."
Your friend used the exact phrase I would have used... "dirty cow".

A bullet dodged indeed!

I read that both men & women fart the same - at least 20 times/day.
And years ago, on Dr. Oz's show, a guy & his girlfriend agreed to wear special underwear for a day that measured the amount of gas expelled. The results were the same for both.
So......ladies, quit blamin' us.

I read that both men & women fart the same - at least 20 times/day.
And years ago, on Dr. Oz's show, a guy & his girlfriend agreed to wear special underwear for a day that measured the amount of gas expelled. The results were the same for both.
So......ladies, quit blamin' us.
I think you are right win. I hear my wife let those little poots out several times a day. Me, I let it rip until the neighbors wind chimes ring.

I enjoyed most of the videos and sent 3 of them to my brother to give him a few laughs. This is a fun post. Believe it or not, but I started to smell farts as I played the last video. The power of suggestion affects me. Glad I have the windows open!

@Ruthanne ~ Do you feel your brother's flatulance affected your life in any way? :p

I enjoyed most of the videos and sent 3 of them to my brother to give him a few laughs. This is a fun post. Believe it or not, but I started to smell farts as I played the last video. The power of suggestion affects me. Glad I have the windows open!

@Ruthanne ~ Do you feel your brother's flatulance affected your life in any way? :p
Thank you to you and ProTruckDriver, for the laughs this morning! :giggle:

Back