• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day - McGuffin

McGuffin (noun) - an object, device, or event that is necessary to the plot and the motivation of the characters, but insignificant, unimportant, or irrelevant in itself.

The McGuffin in this comedy is an unpublished novel by an author killed in the war.

The briefcase was a Mac Guffen in Pulp Fiction. It propelled the story along but it could have been any object. The Maltese Falcon is another example. A bunch of characters pursuing an object that could have been anything other than the Maltese Falcon. In my opinion, the best example is the tiger in Bringing Up Baby. The "baby" could have been a bear or any other dangerous animal and the actions of the characters would have been about the same and the movie would have been just as funny.

Last edited:
McGuffin (noun) - an object, device, or event that is necessary to the plot and the motivation of the characters, but insignificant, unimportant, or irrelevant in itself.

The McGuffin in this comedy is an unpublished novel by an author killed in the war.
I like the word McGuffin! I have never come across it before. As a writer of short stories, I use props in my office to depict the story intended. It made you feel really part of the story, for instanced, for "Entombed in White," I had winter scenes and paintings as well as miniature igloos, sleds, all with a winter theme. For the story I have just submitted to the forum, "Going Home," for which my office just dazzled with many bright colours depicting Joshua's journey of colours.

Back