• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Plethora

Today's market is so saturated with a plethora of top brand names, it's no wonder why so many consumers struggle when it comes to selecting what's right for them.

A great alternative to "a lot" and more fun to pronounce. I love the lyrical sound of the word. The Greek term Plethore means fullness with the first syllable "ple" of Into-European origin. Before the 16th century Plethora was a medical term denoting excess fluid in the body. Now it helps describe a surplus condition. So at the risk of sounding pretentious you now have a new word to denote all those plastic bags you've been storing under the sink.

So at the risk of sounding pretentious you now have a new word to denote all those plastic bags you've been storing under the sink.
So funny, that example! :LOL:

I guess it's worth the risk of sounding pretentious, to use a different word, once in a while. :ROFLMAO:

And it fits very well, for the plethora of random items, some seldom used or even broken and in disrepair,
that seem to gather , on their own, over time. in a cupboard or in a set of bookshelves;

And Oh, the plethora of collectibles, that could be discovered in the closet! ;)

@Aunt Marg
Do you tend to go through a plethora of tissues, when you have such a bad cold bug? :ROFLMAO:

Is there any limit to the possible uses for this word? :LOL:

(Am I beginning to sound a bit too presumptuous? :giggle::geek:)
ROFLMAO!

I sure do, Kaila, and nothing beats an old flannelette baby diaper for blowing, because it's soft and after 3-4 solid days of blowing, it won't make your nose openings red and raw.

Thanks for that excellent, detailed, scientific advise, @Aunt Marg o_O:LOL:

We learn so much, and more than included in the original posts, on these threads;
there's such a huge plethora of general knowledge, gleaned from this single site!

Thanks for the interesting word today, and your unique and entertaining presentation of it, @rcleary171 :)

I see your point, about the dearth of potential paid job opportunities, Tony,
but at least, there is a plethora of topics and opportunities for those majors to participate, here at SF.
;)

Back