• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day - Provenance

Provenance (noun) - A record of ownership of a work of art or an antique, used as a guide to authenticity or quality.

The antique dealer asked for a provenance on the chifferobe a customer wanted to sell.

If a person is buying an item with the intent to restore, and/or, to resell it, or as an investment,
then the item's provenance might be significant;
whereas if the item is for personal enjoyment or for the usage, then it wouldn't matter.
:)
Though sometimes, a person might just be curious, as well. ;)

I wouldn't know how to insure that the provenance was legit, if it was important to someone,
which could be faked as a previous post had pointed out.

I guess that turning to an expert, or becoming one, would be something to consider doing, in that situation.

If a person is buying an item with the intent to restore, and/or, to resell it, or as an investment,
then the item's provenance might be significant;
whereas if the item is for personal enjoyment or for the usage, then it wouldn't matter.
:)
Though sometimes, a person might just be curious, as well. ;)

I wouldn't know how to insure that the provenance was legit, if it was important to someone,
which could be faked as a previous post had pointed out.

I guess that turning to an expert, or becoming one, would be something to consider doing, in that situation.
Find a dealer who is a member of a respected trade body, such as BADA (The British Antique Dealers' Association), The Antiques Dealers' Association of America, Inc. (ADA), LAPADA is the largest professional trade association of art & antiques dealers in the UK, NAADAA (National Antique & Art Dealers Association Of America), CADA (Canadian Art Dealers Association),

I am surprised at how many people that attend my yard sales ask for a provenance on some items. To me it is just things that my parents acquired at other garage sales or auctions - that's about all I can say. I told a friend about it and she said that it was probably to make sure they aren't buying stolen merchandise.

Back