• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Surreal

Ruthanne

SF VIP
Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary defines the adjective as “very strange or unusual” or “having the quality of a dream.” ... “Surreal” is often used to describe something shocking.

Surreal is overused these days but is still a great work to describe the feeling of an alternate state of being. Considering that thesaurus.com gives 'hypnagogic' o_O as the only synonym for surreal, it's still really the best word for when we're overawed by an event that feels otherworldly or dreamlike.

Last edited:
This may be surreal to some of you but in my entire life I have never used the word "surreal" while having a conversation with someone. I chose this Word of the Day to get to understand the word "surreal" better as when I've heard people using it I didn't know what it meant.

Many times I have thought the actions of certain politicians lately were surreal. When those events occur, I think, "This can't really be happening." Therefore, I have experienced surreal.

Back