• This is a “Word of the Day" thread, to reply to this thread please come up with a sentence with the given word. More details.

Word of the Day: Syzygy

Holy smokes, Deb... did you ever pull a crazy one out of the hat! LOL!

Going to revisit this just as soon as I can concoct a good sentence using the word!

I truly wondered if the similarity between the 2 words, syzygy and scissors,
could be possibly due to any derivation in common, where a pair of scissors does have 2 opposing parts, lined up with each other..... :unsure::geek:o_O:unsure::rolleyes:

However, I looked up the derivation of the word scissors, and it comes from Latin, cisorium, meaning cutting or carving...and historically it was related to tailors, etc....so the 2 terms do not seem to be related, at all.

I am pretty sure I am the only one who wondered, but I will share the knowledge.... :geek::LOL::ROFLMAO::love:

I truly wondered if the similarity between the 2 words, syzygy and scissors,
could be possibly due to any derivation in common, where a pair of scissors does have 2 opposing parts, lined up with each other..... :unsure::geek:o_O:unsure::rolleyes:

However, I looked up the derivation of the word scissors, and it comes from Latin, cisorium, meaning cutting or carving...and historically it was related to tailors, etc....so the 2 terms do not seem to be related, at all.

I am pretty sure I am the only one who wondered, but I will share the knowledge.... :geek::LOL::ROFLMAO::love:
I could explain syzygy to you in a much deeper way than ever dreamed of, but don't want to come across as didactic, so I'll let you read about it instead. :)

Back