Would you call this table

It’s hard too tell from deb’s photo. That may not be dust, just wearing & discolouring from age.

The one on FB said it wasn’t solid enough to sit down at. If your’s is solid enough for that, list it. It doesn’t cost you anything.

I saw this on Marketplace today - someone else has a gate-leg table and that's pretty dusty, too. They only want $25 and haven't sold it. That's how bad the antiques market is here.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/952706001901245
I pay little attention to market value. Market value, IMO, is a value that reflects the open market value (at the present time). It means nothing, other than a value that is set by the everyday common buyer who is cheap and looking for something for nothing.

I wouldn't cut off one leg of your table and sell it for $25, need alone sell the entire table for that. Some things are better off held onto for future times, for future offerings and considerations.

You can formulate you own take on the matter, but here's mine. If a buyer came along and offered me $25 for the table you have, I'd laugh them right off my property, but before I laughed them off my property, I'd tell them to feel free to go to any store of their wishes and buy a comparable table to the one you have, and do it for $25. It can't be done, other than if one could be found in an antique store, and I'll bet the asking won't be $25.

Common furniture available and offered in stores today is junk, garbage. What you have is a solid wood table, not some cheap, economical, molded wooden legged table fashioned from sawdust mixed with resin.

To heck with market value. I'd have that table professionally refinished and would enjoy it's beauty.

In closing, I get a real charge out of some people, they'll piddle away good money after bad outfitting themselves with a new vehicle every 2-3 years (if that isn't a waste of money I don't know what is), yet when it comes to buying something of quality, as in a fine piece of furniture, they'll turn their nose up at something like you've got, in turn for some piece of junk at some big-box store. It's all so laughable.

Everything in this world is junk (push comes to shove), that is until the right buyer comes along.

When I first dragged the table out and opened it up, there was a sticker on the underside that said $150. If my parents paid that in the 1970's that's like $700 in today's money.
If so, that was a lot of money for the day.

One must carefully consider appreciation for certain styles of furniture when pondering value, and while some styles and makers seem to appreciate steadily with time, some remain stagnant, barely holding onto their original value, and some you can't even give away.

It boils down to how bad someone wants something, or how deeply someone appreciates what they have. There is no set dollar amount when it comes to that. Anything goes and anything is possible.

I have an aunt (believe it or not) who will argue up and down with you and I, Aneeda, that wearing outdoor footwear in a home is cleaner and more sanitary than wearing stocking feet. :rolleyes:
There is so much you drag in from outside the house on footwear. Besides the obvious animal excrement, dirt etc, viruses and bacteria from several sources; there are also things cockroach eggs, and other undesirable insects. I disagree with your aunt.

I pay little attention to market value. Market value, IMO, is a value that reflects the open market value (at the present time). It means nothing, other than a value that is set by the everyday common buyer who is cheap and looking for something for nothing.

I wouldn't cut off one leg of your table and sell it for $25, need alone sell the entire table for that. Some things are better off held onto for future times, for future offerings and considerations.

You can formulate you own take on the matter, but here's mine. If a buyer came along and offered me $25 for the table you have, I'd laugh them right off my property, but before I laughed them off my property, I'd tell them to feel free to go to any store of their wishes and buy a comparable table to the one you have, and do it for $25. It can't be done, other than if one could be found in an antique store, and I'll bet the asking won't be $25.

Common furniture available and offered in stores today is junk, garbage. What you have is a solid wood table, not some cheap, economical, molded wooden legged table fashioned from sawdust mixed with resin.

To heck with market value. I'd have that table professionally refinished and would enjoy it's beauty.

In closing, I get a real charge out of some people, they'll piddle away good money after bad outfitting themselves with a new vehicle every 2-3 years (if that isn't a waste of money I don't know what is), yet when it comes to buying something of quality, as in a fine piece of furniture, they'll turn their nose up at something like you've got, in turn for some piece of junk at some big-box store. It's all so laughable.

Everything in this world is junk (push comes to shove), that is until the right buyer comes along.
The problem with the table is it is heavy. A nice heavy piece of furniture in what is now a pretty mobile society. People want light weight furniture-easy to move, easy to disassemble, and easy to transport. Thus the popularity of IKEA. IMO

There is so much you drag in from outside the house on footwear. Besides the obvious animal excrement, dirt etc, viruses and bacteria from several sources; there are also things cockroach eggs, and other undesirable insects. I disagree with your aunt.
Yes!

Spit gobs, remnants of chewing tobacco, cigarette butts, tar, oil, gasoline, grease...

You want to know why there is so much sickness these days? People have pampered their immune systems and have no defense. You need dirt and germ exposure to exercise your immune system to stay healthy.
I'm a firm-believer in this.

Do remember when my kids were at the crawling stage, I washed floors every day. Couldn't stand the thought of them dropping their soothers and picking them back up and putting them in their mouths.

It might have been nice when it was new, but it has been neglected. Cover it with a nice tablecloth and you might find a place for it.
I don't see any neglect whatsoever, and as for minor blemishes on the piece, that's what adds charm and character to a piece like that.

Last edited:
It looks unique and with the right vision and some tlc would be prefect in the right place.

Back