Yes - familiarity does (almost) breed contempt.

Well she is brand new,so to speak, and very young (19) so I suppose I must give her some leeway.
But to be honest I was quite non-plussed at being called 'Peggy' as opposed to my usual name, and by the time I'd concocted an appropriate response she was long gone down the stairs - it's always the way, isn't it?

Hello Margaret and welcome tt the forum.

At age 19 this young lady just is not savvy enough to know how to deal with an elderly person.
You could help her a lot by just rreminding and telling her gently the things that she need to know about you.

Hope you enjoy your stay with us. We do have fun too.
Welcome. group duck.jpg

Good morning, Margaret, and welcome to the forum! šŸŒ· I agree with the others that correcting her about your name would be something that needs to be done without question. Wonder how a 19 year old even knows that Peggy was a common nickname for Margaret a long time ago?

About the "how are we today"... I'd be tempted to answer "I. Am. Just. Fine. But. I'm. A. Senior. Citizen, Not. Slow." But if it's a caregiver I suppose I'd have to keep the snark under control. šŸ˜Š
Well yes. If you have a certain level of dependency on care staff then you have to practice a degree of diplomacy, and restrict yourself to just fuming inwardly. That's the way of the world.

I would try to remember that her new job just rocked her world. Noone grows up thinking their life is going to revolve around bedpans, commodes and feedings. Make her smileā€¦call her play it again charlie and ask if we are having fun yet. She needs to be able to find the value in caring and you have a unique position to give it to her. Good day and welcome!

Back