You Have The Right To Remember Carmen Miranda!

"Chigga, chigga, boom! :banana::pepper::banana: Why have just one, when you can have fifty of everything? All done without animation,

I was Carmen Miranda for Halloween one year and had a towering pile of plastic fruit in a basket on my head, anchored to my hair with many, many hairpins. By the end of the evening, I had a sore neck to end all sore necks and only about 3/4 the hair I had when I started. She sure could make the moves with all that stuff on her head.

I'd love to see a picture of that, Jujube!

I know so many guys who have been her for Halloween. Fun fact- there are pictures illustrating that CM was infamous for not feeling the need for underwear...go wash out your brains now.

Do we also have the right to remain silent? ;)
Yep!:D
music-american_idol-sings-singer-sang-auditions-ggm100206_low.jpg

IMG_0064.jpeg

I didn’t know that besides being a talented actress, she was also a fabulous creative clothes designer:

The Carmen Miranda Style

Carmen Miranda was so special that she created her own colorful, yet incredibly elegant, look based on the clothes typically worn in Bahia. She was a small, bubbly woman, with big green eyes and a huge smile, and she created a famous on-screen look that could only be compared to the costumes worn by Marlene Dietrich or Marilyn Monroe.

The Miranda Look: Turbans - Google Arts & Culture

View attachment 337387

I didn’t know that besides being a talented actress, she was also a fabulous creative clothes designer:

The Carmen Miranda Style

Carmen Miranda was so special that she created her own colorful, yet incredibly elegant, look based on the clothes typically worn in Bahia. She was a small, bubbly woman, with big green eyes and a huge smile, and she created a famous on-screen look that could only be compared to the costumes worn by Marlene Dietrich or Marilyn Monroe.

Thanks for the link! It was fun to watch. The "Turban talk" reminded me of a thing a few years back. They were called "Turbie Twists, a quick way for a woman to wrap and dry her hair. My Wife loved them and bought a dozen and gave them to our two daughters and our two oldest grand daughters. Not sure if they are still around, in the stores.

iu

carmen-miranda.gif

"In August of 1955, Miranda appeared on the Jimmy Durante Show, where she stumbled slightly while performing a song. She told Durante she was out of breath, but the way she handled it, you’d never know it foretold Something Else."

"That night she died of a heart attack. She was 46 years old."

"Her body was returned to Brazil, and her country mourned. According to A&E, she lay in state in the City Hall of Rio de Janeiro where approximately 60,000 people came to pay their last respects."
(MORE)

View attachment 337387

The Carmen Miranda Style

@Old_Dame Thanks so much for this wonderful piece on Carmen Miranda. I really enjoyed it! Loved seeing all the turbans too.

Thanks for the link! It was fun to watch. The "Turban talk" reminded me of a thing a few years back. They were called "Turbie Twists, a quick way for a woman to wrap and dry her hair. My Wife loved them and bought a dozen and gave them to our two daughters and our two oldest grand daughters. Not sure if they are still around, in the stores.

iu

Oh, @Meanderer, you’re most welcome. Yet, it’s I who thanks you for creating this lovely commemorative. 🌹 My grandparents, and parents would have joyfully embraced it, were they alive. They loved Miss Carmen, as she was just three years younger than both my grandmothers, who were born in 1906, the same year of the major San Francisco, earthquake.

As for the “Turbie Twists”; I couldn’t stop smiling when you mentioned them, and that of your wife’s love of them. “Both,” of my grandmothers loved them as well! One of my fondness memories as a young girl, was spending the night at either of my grandmother’s house for the weekend, and being treated to a shampoo, and special opportunity to wear a ‘Turbie twist’ like an adult … lol.

Back