You live alone ? Do you keep a gun in your residence ?

Yup, and you can bet that these thugs will Never cooperate in any police investigation. California has the largest Latino population in the U.S. and I can see the day coming when it changes its name to Mexifornia.

Years ago, the Crips and Bloods were the dominant gangs in California. Now the Latino gangs have largely eliminated those groups, and taken over as the "supreme" authorities in that region.
Don, the Crips and Bloods are still huge but their main turf is the bay area. Thing is, they do have "reps" who manage several scattered neighborhoods here in Central Calif. These reps get set up in nice homes in nice neighborhoods with nice cars. Their job is to manage bad business in bad neighborhoods, and they get stupid kids to the work for them. These kids are convinced they can climb the ladder to the nice house and the new car and all that BS. They often get themselves killed or behind bars instead, but they rarely name the rep...that's a guaranteed death sentence.

If you read the news article from the time...........He shot two people who had broken into a building where he stored antiques, WHILE they were climbing OUT of a window, to escape. He shot them both...In the back. He was convicted, but in a later appeal , he was judged to have a " persecution complex " and his sentence was reduced to three years. Read the link that was provided, and come to your own conclusions. JimB.
That is an offense in the US as well. You cannot shoot someone in the back as they are escaping or running away. When they are doing that, they are no longer an imminent threat to you; they are police business, not yours.

Whenever a citizen shoots someone in self defense, their next step is to get an attorney because the shooting will be investigated. Even if it was obvious self-defense, detectives have to investigate and send a report to the department, which sends a report to the DA, who sends a report to the court.

If you read the news article from the time...........He shot two people who had broken into a building where he stored antiques, WHILE they were climbing OUT of a window, to escape. He shot them both...In the back. He was convicted, but in a later appeal , he was judged to have a " persecution complex " and his sentence was reduced to three years. Read the link that was provided, and come to your own conclusions. JimB.
The same here, except you, like the police, can shoot a fleeing felon who you have probable cause to believe, if permitted to escape, they will cause death or serious physical harm to others. The facts are essential in a case like this.

Don, the Crips and Bloods are still huge but their main turf is the bay area. Thing is, they do have "reps" who manage several scattered neighborhoods here in Central Calif. These reps get set up in nice homes in nice neighborhoods with nice cars. Their job is to manage bad business in bad neighborhoods, and they get stupid kids to the work for them. These kids are convinced they can climb the ladder to the nice house and the new car and all that BS. They often get themselves killed or behind bars instead, but they rarely name the rep...that's a guaranteed death sentence.
Yeah, these street gangs are firmly entrenched in most major cities, and prey upon the lower income people and neighborhoods. They force everyone in those areas to live in awful conditions, knowing that If they were ever to cooperate with the police, they, and perhaps their entire family would be history. They are far worse than the Mafia ever was.

I've learned so much from this thread.

Persecution complex gets you off? Don't all gun owners have at least a touch of that? Otherwise why have a gun unless you think someone at some time might be out to get you?

I'm also surprised that you can own a gun in England if you like to go for target practice. Couldn't any hooligan say that, or join a club if needed? What a giant loophole for those intent on crime.
Yes I have so many guns I don't know where to put them anymore. It's like they are breeding or something. Every so many months I go looking for something and I have to move all these guns and ammo. It is a real irritation.
I was going to claim more guns than Judycat as a deterrent to robbers, but then I thought what if they needed guns for their gang and thought my house would be the best one to rob?

Actually we have zero guns and my husband was 22 years in the military. I think lots of people think all military types are gun owners, but no.

What does worry me a little bit is that he's usually out drinking until about 2 A.M. and everyone in his local bar knows where he lives and that I and my little dog, too, are home alone while he's there. I think the two of us will just go out the window and run.

I'm not paranoid & I only have a few guns. I don't believe in overdoing it.
Video: Arms Haul Seized by Navy Covers Cruiser Deck With Guns, RPGs

Oh I live alone and have several guns. I prefer the S&W .357 Combat Magnum because of the stopping power and ease of use. I also own a .22 bolt action rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun of unknown origin that's been in the family since the 50s. Interestingly in my state it is legal to close carry a handgun but some some reason open carry is more regulated. Don't ask me to explain.

Anyway some late nights when I can't sleep I take Old Black Mavis (the name for my S&W) out and just sit on the porch looking at the sky and the stars with Cosette at my feet, stroking the barrel, loading it and unloading it, and loading it and unloading it. And loading it and unloading it. just trying to get faster at loading it and unloading it, loading it and unloading it. Then loading it and unloading it, and loading it and unloading it. Of course then looking at the sky and loading it and unloading it. After a few hours my bones get cold and I put Old Black Mavis to bed under my pillow and Cosette takes the evening watch outside.

Perhaps I should buy a security system.
Ya know, some here will take you seriously........ 🤣

I've learned so much from this thread.

Persecution complex gets you off? Don't all gun owners have at least a touch of that? Otherwise why have a gun unless you think someone at some time might be out to get you?

So you have more to learn...I own only 'long guns' as I am a hunter! I have no guns for protection. And of course, no hand guns. My long guns, especially shotguns, would be good for protection, but that is not my reason for having them.

I would definitely own a gun if I lived in a dangerous neighborhood where I worried about some a-hole breaking into my house or if I worried about getting mugged when out for a walk, so I can understand why some people own handguns.

I don't think there's much self-defense use for AR-15 style weapons unless there's some kind of "home invasion" where throngs of hoodlums swarm through the windows and doors and you're trapped in the basement with your back to the wall pointing your gun at the door at the top of the stairs, waiting in anticipation for the door to be flung open while eating a tuna fish sandwich...

I would definitely own a gun if I lived in a dangerous neighborhood where I worried about some a-hole breaking into my house or if I worried about getting mugged when out for a walk, so I can understand why some people own handguns.

I don't think there's much self-defense use for AR-15 style weapons unless there's some kind of "home invasion" where throngs of hoodlums swarm through the windows and doors and you're trapped in the basement with your back to the wall pointing your gun at the door at the top of the stairs, waiting in anticipation for the door to be flung open while eating a tuna fish sandwich...
Yes - much like these situations:

Between all the stress of this Covid, and the demeaning/reductions of the police as a result of the fallout of these BLM's, those living in many of our cities are having to contend with increased crime. As a result, gun and ammo sales have soared in the past couple of years. More and more people are feeling the need to provide their own "protection", and that is only likely to continue to increase.

Those who can afford to do so, or have jobs where they can work from home, etc., are starting to leave many of the cities.

https://www.cbsnews.com/media/12-major-american-cities-that-are-shrinking/

But seriously, I have 3 handguns (which I have a permit for) and a Browning"Sweet 16" shotgun. All inherited from my dad. The Radom he brought back as a souvenir from the European theater of WW2.

View attachment 216219View attachment 216220View attachment 216221View attachment 216222
Interesting trivia on that Ruger 22 pistol. The black Eagle emblem on the grip was originally red. It was changed to black after Ruger's partner - Alexander Sturm died. (company was originally "Sturm Ruger & Co.")

And that Browning is as classy as it gets.

I took the Browning around to gun shops after my dad passed. No one would offer more than $200 for it. There was a man that used to stop at my lawn sales ever Labor Day weekend. I had showed it to him when he stopped once and always asks if I had decided to sell it. I told him I wouldn't take any less than $2k and he said his top price was $500. I think I'll leave it to my cousin who knows and appreciates guns. These other guys probably just want it to re-sell and make a few bucks.

I thought the model 37 Ithica was referred to as the "sweet 16", that's what my dad always called his anyway. We called those old Brownings a "hump back".
That is what we always have called it. I have a police special with the iridescent site. double 00 buckshot... perfect home defense. :) Just hangs around with the old cowboy 30-30, the deer rifle 30-06, and one of those scary guns.

protection.JPG

Back