Your Children-Left Home And Stayed Gone Or Returned And....?

fmdog44

When it comes to your children describe what they did in terms of growing up and leaving home or returned for a while to get back on their feet or whatever.

Mine kept coming home.....with more baggage each time.

First time with a husband and dog (their apartment building had partially burned and had been condemned so they needed a place to live temporarily until they found another place.)

Second time, with a baby during short separation from husband.

Third time, for two years, with toddler but husband out of the picture. I loved those two years.

Fourth time, not for very long as her room had been turned into an office and I told her she and the little one would have to share a room. THAT shortened the stay.

my boys left aged 18, with the help , from their dad, on buying property etc, he decorated for them, got them on their feet.......they both made a healthy profit of their first purchases.......
met women, married, had children, now we hardly see them....they are 45 and 43......

Mine bought her first property at 23, and has never returned home.. I would be delighted to have her tho'..... 🥰..she lives abroad now..she's in her 40's .

..especially as she costs me a fortune in postage for parcels she wants sent to her..:ROFLMAO:..just this morning, she said ''mum can you take delivery of a duvet set that I need, because the uk store won't deliver overseas''.. .

I have 5 kids. Only one of my boys came back...twice! 🤦🏼‍♀️

All the kids are close though, and they’ve lived with each other on and off as roommates...my daughter with son #2, sons 3 and 4 roomed together for several years, went their separate ways for a few years and are planning to room together again in the house son #4 bought at the beginning of next year. Three of my boys all lived together for a while somewhere in there too.

my 2 sons where a bit doubtful leaving --the youngest wanted his own pad so to speak ' it lasted few weeks then back '
then elder one met a girl' set up home with mortgage it went pear shaped -he came back glad really --
so I had 2 back home ' they missed the kitchen I think more with the food in cupboards and fridge ' but now both married and older have their own kids now 'wonder if history will repeat itself hahahah...

Our kids grew up here in Florida, but wound up in the Seattle area. They are much more affluent than we are and they like to come for visits. It is a long flight.
The grownup grandkids are in NY and NJ. They are doing well and they like to come for visits too.

Have 3 daughters 2 are 4 or 5 miles away, 1 lives in Elpaso Tx haven't seen in 2.5 yrs my son passed away from truck accident 12 yrs ago on July 5 he was 43 yrs would ha e been 44yr in September, I have 9 grand children,12 great grand children rarely see anyone but I grson , I am disabled from failed back surgery 3 yrs ago and other health issues, so very lonely with depression, so glad I have you all to be with Thank You All for listening😊 And God Bless !

We have one son. He’s 28 tomorrow. He‘s always had a job since he was 16, we told him he had to, he didn’t want one but he was happy to have one once he figured he had money and the feeling accomplishment. He went to college in Arkansas on a bagpipe scholarship. He came home for a year after college to work and save money. He couldn’t wait to get his own place. He’s very independent. Plus he had to clean all the bathrooms and vacuum the house and mow the lawn for rent. He found a job he loves and loves his independence. Now I’m waiting for him to find his soul mate and have me some grand babies. 😄

Two of our three came back home after initially leaving in their early twenties. After that, they all stayed gone.

Glad that all worked out well, because now the time might come when I will have to intrude on them, and go to live in one of their homes... :)

We have five; two of them had a false start and came back home for a few months. They are all finally established with their own homes and families, but they are welcome to come "home" anytime they need to.

Agree with CM. My kids are well established, but if any needed to return to our home we would open our doors (as my mother and in-laws would have done for me).

Our firstborn left at 18 and has never come back to live. Our second moved here with us in 1991,was 5 months pregnant and her boyfriend(now hubby) came back and forth on his days off as he was making great money in San Francisco and would never be able to make that here-at least not at his age then. But when their son was born,he couldn`t stand being away,so he took a job making much less money. He has more than made up for it now though by becoming a lineman. Our third daughter left at 18 to move in with her abusive boyfriend whom I HATED. It was a horrible 3 years,during which time he very nearly killed her. He was a police officer:mad: She finally left him and we bought her a townhouse where she and her bestie lived for several years. She is happily married now and they have a 14 yo daughter.And he`s a great guy! Our son moved out at 18 briefly,but came back home and brought a friend with him:cautious:That wasn`t bad because we had a poolhouse that they lived in. But then my son had a drug problem for several years,the friend moved out (turned out he had a drug problem as well) and didn`t get clean until he was 27. He met his future wife,she moved in with him and they both lived with us until he was 32.We had to move to get them to get their own place lol.

Our second daughter did come home during that time as they sold their house,planning to build on our property. They moved into a manufactured home we had on the back of our property. It was nice,but small,considering they had four boys by then. And then their daughter was born while they lived there.Plus my daughter had a daycare so she "brought" that with her. It was a crazy couple of years,but fun.

All three moved out by age 30. My daughter is no longer alive. My two sons are married and have their own homes and families. I don't expect them to return. We keep in touch daily and they come to help when I need it.

We have one son. He’s 28 tomorrow. He‘s always had a job since he was 16, we told him he had to, he didn’t want one but he was happy to have one once he figured he had money and the feeling accomplishment. He went to college in Arkansas on a bagpipe scholarship. He came home for a year after college to work and save money. He couldn’t wait to get his own place. He’s very independent. Plus he had to clean all the bathrooms and vacuum the house and mow the lawn for rent. He found a job he loves and loves his independence. Now I’m waiting for him to find his soul mate and have me some grand babies. 😄
Wait. A bagpipe scholarship? Is that code for something, or is there actually a school that gives scholarships to those who play bagpipes?

have five, all living on their own and doing well, (all making more money than I ever did) each have children and homes and we stay in touch and they are all within an hour of us. had lunch with three daughters yesterday and am working with oldest son tomorrow. plus a dozen grandchildren we see regularly.

have five, all living on their own and doing well, (all making more money than I ever did) each have children and homes and we stay in touch and they are all within an hour of us. had lunch with three daughters yesterday and am working with oldest son tomorrow. plus a dozen grandchildren we see regularly.
We have 6 with one overseas..5 within 50 miles..

But getting together for holidays is like herding cats!!!

Hug them all no matter what. Today is the toughest day of the year for me. 2 years since my baby left this world and the pain is still so hard to bear. Don't let the little things in life get in the way. Love them always, and the one thing I learned too late... tell them you love them. That's all for today, I can hardly see the keyboard through the tears.
Jennifer, I miss you so.

Hug them all no matter what. Today is the toughest day of the year for me. 2 years since my baby left this world and the pain is still so hard to bear. Don't let the little things in life get in the way. Love them always, and the one thing I learned too late... tell them you love them. That's all for today, I can hardly see the keyboard through the tears.
Jennifer, I miss you so.

Ditto to the above..

My boys (3) and Grandsons (7) all have a family known hand shake and a hug when we see each other.. (y) 😍

My kids have done okay, my youngest has done exceptionally well if money is the key to happiness, only one has needed help from time to time, but I have one grandson that has almost drove me to my grave.. Drugs with a felony arrest, I am at this minute trying to decide what to do. I have a feeling, premonition that the worst is yet to come.

Wait. A bagpipe scholarship? Is that code for something, or is there actually a school that gives scholarships to those who play bagpipes?
Lol. He started playing the bagpipes when he was 14. There’s a college in Arkansas that has a bagpipe band and gives scholarships to go to school there. His scholarship paid half and we paid the other half. He was a double English/Music major and Scottish Arts minor. It’s a beautiful place and he now has great friends and memories from that time in his life. He has a website Malonepiper.com and plays on the side for money but has a full time job at a home builder. Here‘s the college. https://www.lyon.edu/

Our firstborn left at 18 and has never come back to live. Our second moved here with us in 1991,was 5 months pregnant and her boyfriend(now hubby) came back and forth on his days off as he was making great money in San Francisco and would never be able to make that here-at least not at his age then. But when their son was born,he couldn`t stand being away,so he took a job making much less money. He has more than made up for it now though by becoming a lineman. Our third daughter left at 18 to move in with her abusive boyfriend whom I HATED. It was a horrible 3 years,during which time he very nearly killed her. He was a police officer:mad: She finally left him and we bought her a townhouse where she and her bestie lived for several years. She is happily married now and they have a 14 yo daughter.And he`s a great guy! Our son moved out at 18 briefly,but came back home and brought a friend with him:cautious:That wasn`t bad because we had a poolhouse that they lived in. But then my son had a drug problem for several years,the friend moved out (turned out he had a drug problem as well) and didn`t get clean until he was 27. He met his future wife,she moved in with him and they both lived with us until he was 32.We had to move to get them to get their own place lol.

Our second daughter did come home during that time as they sold their house,planning to build on our property. They moved into a manufactured home we had on the back of our property. It was nice,but small,considering they had four boys by then. And then their daughter was born while they lived there.Plus my daughter had a daycare so she "brought"

This certainly calls for an appropriate bagpiper tale :

This bagpiper was called on to play for an indigent veteran who died with no known relatives. He took the gig, and proceeded to drive to the burial location on the appointed day. He got lost, but persevered. Finally, a clearing appeared, with an obvious excavation. Since he was late, everyone was gone, except for the digging crew. He walked up to the gravesite and began to play. He mourned this old soldier who died so alone. He played as a man possessed. As he played, he wept, and the digging crew gathered around him. They, too, wept. When he was done, he began packing up, and then headed to his car. One of the crew members approached him, tears still in his eyes. "I have to tell you, man, I have been in this business for twenty years, now, and never before in my life, have I ever experienced such a beautiful service for the completion of a septic tank installation!" On the way home, the bagpiper stopped to pick up a map!

Back