Your Favorite Internet Device

Elena

Which internet device do you use the most? Is it a Tablet, a Laptop or Cell Phone? Perhaps you still use a Desktop Computer:) I smile because mine has become extinct and hardly ever gets used. I'll start by saying that I don't have a favorite but use mainly three devices according to where I am and my mood. I don't care to use my cell much for the internet because it is 'dumb' and the screen is small (desperately in need of an upgrade) so mostly at work I use my Galaxy Player 5.0 and at home I use my Laptop and my Nook, by the way this site looks and works beautifully on all three:) ​Elena

I still use a desktop (with dial-up connection). :) My cell phone is an old Tracfone, with no internet capabilities. I know, stoneage...but for now, it works for me. ;)

I use a desktop and always will. We use hughes.net because dial up where I live can't help itself, much less get me on the Net. Every time it rained, we would lose the phone and that is no joke, so we no longer have a land line.

My cell phone has internet capability but I refuse to pay for it.

We have a laptop; I hate it, so Mr. TWHRider loaded it with engine testing software for his race car and it works wonderfully for that purpose.

I am only into this type of technology to a point. I would never pay my bills on-line using my cell phone, like many of the younger generations do.

Whenever I think I am getting too technologically involved, I ask myself how I would feel about giving something up if I had to live Off The Grid. If I find myself whining, then I don't need those Advancements in Technology that are being touted on TV or wherever.

I try really hard to apply the KISS principle to everything I do in this life and that applies to technology. KISS being "keep it simple stupid" lollollol

Seabreeze You know I really don't need a 'Smart' phone either because I very seldom talk on any phone, I am more of a text person but I want to be able to connect while at work so I am looking into either another phone or inexpensive wireless service, funny because I really don't need to connect while at work because I have many news articles, magazines and books downloaded on my Galaxy Player but I want the convenience of say visiting sites such as 'SeniorForums' :) I have used Dial-up and it comes in handy when you need it, I was thankful to have internet connection :)

Rider My Laptop comes in real handy for me because it is set up on an adjustable table in my bedroom that goes over my bed that my husband got me when I had back problems and couldn't get around much, well...the back problems are gone but the Laptop and table stayed lol, I luv the set-up, I can whip it out anytime :) On my Cell phone, text and internet service is unlimited for a small price so I pay nothing extra there. I was surprised to hear that someone else had phone line problems when it rained, same here! Ours was affecting the 'high-speed' internet connection because I am on one that still uses the phone line, I called in to get an upgrade and apparently the wiring is so archaic in our area that they told me it wasn't available so I am stuck with what I have but it works quite well now. What I use to purchase my books, magazines, etc online is a Card that I keep very little money on, so that if someone should hack my info they won't get into our main account, I feel much safer that way. My Husband wishes I would follow the principle of KISS, but I tell him, there are just a few more gadgets I want, he thinks I have enough already :)

My favorite 'Net device is a very large coffee mug ... without it I couldn't accomplish half of what I do now.

Beside that, my tech list is comprised of a 2-year-old HP laptop. It was top-end when I got it but now it's becoming a fossil, but it still does what I need it to do. I prefer a desktop to the laptop, though - I like the old-school IBM-style keyboards with the "clickety-click" and normal-sized keys. These laptop keyboards are nasty, especially if that very large mug of previously-mentioned coffee spills onto the keys - you're in trouble then, because you can't just swap out keyboards and continue working.

One of these days when I'm rich and famous I plan to get another desktop, and leave the laptop for the cat - he's on it more than I am anyway. :playful:

SifuPhil lol...yes, I know about those cats, mine used to put her paw on the pages of my books when I read as if she was turning the pages, it was so cute! I've developed allergies so I no longer keep cats at home:( The Desktop seems to be favored in this group so far, very interesting, mine certainly came in handy last year when we were having problems with Netflix for some reason, I set it up where we could watch Hulu on it, hubby was quite happy that he could still watch some quality programs on a decent screen, I just can't seem to part with it even though it gets minimal use, I need it just in case and also when doing housework I sometimes like to listen to internet radio or a cd on it.

I always used a desktop then a few years ago I bought an HP 10" screen netbook for Steve to take into hospital with him so he could play games etc but he very rarely uses it, he's more a news paper crossword fan, I however love it as it fits nicely into my tote bag and as It's wireless can use it everywhere
The old desktop, I gave to a friends g/daughter as I never used it and have a brand new Asus laptop which I'm still finding my way around but I love it too.
I've also got one of those mobiles for seniors ,'no bells and whistles' ,not even a camera, but big buttons for my clumsy fingers and extra loud volume so I can hear it ringing in my bag altho' the only time I use it is if Steve's with me at the mall and wonders off on his walker somewhere and I can't find him, lol

Elena, you've almost made me regret letting Mr. TWHRider load his race car software on the laptop; I may have to re-think this - lol lol

apparently the wiring is so archaic in our area that they told me it wasn't available

Do you live on my road? That is exactly what I was told back in 2004 - we pretty much still have the old original Ma Bell lines and because we are pretty remote "they" have no intentions of upgrading us. I said ok fine, guess what? cancel my land line, I don't need you anymore<--put that in your upgrade pipe and smoke it :playful:

Seabreeze You know I really don't need a 'Smart' phone either because I very seldom talk on any phone, I am more of a text person...

You know honestly, I have never sent a text in my life, although the phone I have has the capability. Not sure whether to feel embarassed about that, or proud, lol.

One of these days when I'm rich and famous I plan to get another desktop, and leave the laptop for the cat - he's on it more than I am anyway. :playful:

Love your cat comment, my little guy love to jump up on my keyboard and screw things up for me. I blame him for 'breaking' my Dell Inspiron, but it was likely operator error or just a lemon computer. :bashcomp:

I've also got one of those mobiles for seniors ,'no bells and whistles' ,not even a camera, but big buttons for my clumsy fingers and extra loud volume so I can hear it ringing in my bag altho' the only time I use it is if Steve's with me at the mall and wonders off on his walker somewhere and I can't find him, lol

I've seen advertisements for the Jitterbug, a cell phone with limited pricing according to minute usage. Also, it has large numbers and keys, and I believe it has a voice/text feature, so if you're hard of hearing, you can read the incoming conversation. Definitely worth considering.

Sometimes my hubby said he tried to call me when I was out, and I never even heard the phone ring. I had it on a music alarm, but I changed it to a regular ring because it was so quiet. We share the one phone, so we can't talk to each other unless someone is home on the landline, or at a pay phone.

Maggis Yes it's the portability of some gadgets whether it be a Laptop, Tablet or Cell Phone that make them convenient if you want to stay wired and I do because it helps me to put my mind on something else when work gets stressful.

Rider Funny, you reminded me of the time some family members gave me an old Desktop Computer, actually it was my first one so I learned the old school way by using Windows '95 lol, boy did it teach me patience in using the internet! Anyway they regretted giving it to me after they saw how I was able to use it, it was my training ground in computing :)

Seabreeze I am not much of a phone talker so texting works great for me, I never use my Land Line, I just check the messages, my Cell is used mostly for business and work where I make my conversations short and sweet if possible :) The longest conversations I have are with family members who live out of town but I usually text them as well if conversation is not needed.

pchinvegas You're like me in that sense, my Laptop used to be my favorite, now I prefer the portable devices. The iDevices are quite nice, some of my family members have iPhones and I used an iPod Touch quite a bit but when I decided to buy a new device I chose the Galaxy Player partiality because of the larger screen. Been thinking lately about maybe getting an iPad mini, we will see :)

Seabreeze I am not much of a phone talker so texting works great for me, I never use my Land Line, I just check the messages, my Cell is used mostly for business and work where I make my conversations short and sweet if possible :) The longest conversations I have are with family members who live out of town but I usually text them as well if conversation is not needed.

Texting has its advantages as long as somebody doesn't think they need to text me everytime they make a move. It should come as no surprise I don't have a Twitter account - lol lol

I texted my farrier to "call me about Joker when he was free". It was a great way to communicate without communicating when I knew full well he was underneath somebody's horse. He leaves his cell phone in the truck anyway but, sometimes good Ole Verizon doesn't show missed calls (it's a lot easier to check txt msgs than it is to check the VM so I didn't want to leave one of those either. The indicator for text messages always shows.

Rider I had to chuckle remembering when I had Twitter notifications turned on my cell, I quickly turned them off :) I use Twitter for news and search and only have the mentions and direct msg turned on because I hardly get any of those being that I'm connected to very few 'friends' Yes texting can be very convenient when used as needed :)

What did we do before the internet? Since we are in the Ozarks, but down in a "holler", we get no cell reception, but have one basic cell phone for road emergencies. I have the minimum plan, I think 250 min. a month, but usually use maybe 10. Reception is poor even on the roads because of the winding hills.
I would love to be able to dump my overpriced landline, but I'm stuck with it.

Seabreeze, you and I may be the only two people in the world that have never texted...lol

I do my internet surfing on a laptop and a hp touchpad..not wild about the touchpad...don't like the tap, tap, tapping...much prefer a keyboard, but it is handy to lie in bed on sleepless nights and use. Several months ago we had a helatious thunderstorm come through here and it took out my Dell Inspirion desktop and modem. Everything was on a surge protector too. I thought about replacing it, but have gotten use to the laptop.

By far the thing we use the most is our Roku player. Our only television option is a dish, had that once several years ago, and every time there was the least little weather disturbance the thing would go out.

When we moved here we opted not to pay their ridiculous prices for a bunch of commercials and channels we don't want to watch. With the Roku player we stream Netflix& Amazon, for less than $15 a month, plus the Roku player has a bunch of channels, many of them free for news, weather,movies and misc. special interest channels. When you live in the sticks you have to think outside the box sometimes.:rolleyes:

Ozarkgal I can't wait until we get our Roku, I have been wanting one for some time now, we do have a Samsung Blu Ray Player that can access a few internet channels such as Netflix, Hulu, etc but not nearly as many as Roku, can't wait!

Elena...When you get your Roku and get it set up, please check back and tell us how you like it (or not). I'll be honest with you and say they do have a lot of junk channels, but we're mainly interested in the news, weather and movies, so it works great for our purposes.

Oh yeah..it has a couple of good music channels , too.

Back