Anything and everything about gardening in 2024

Not being a gardener, I didn't know "burning of the bulb field" was a thing!

@squatting dog and @MarkD Beautiful gardens!
Well, it does help. That is why they have "controlled burns" in the National Forests. It adds vital nutrients to gets rid of the choking ground clutter.

Of course, my bulb field is done on a much smaller scale!!
emoticon

I used to do gardening almost daily once but never really liked it - now I live in a forest which looks after itself and still don't like gardening BUT I do sometimes like looking at other peoples gardens for a while until a get somewhat tired then I nod off??

Been enjoying fresh home grown strawberries. :)

View attachment 345482

When I first started gardening I grew strawberries at the front of bed in the ground for multiple years in the same place. Found out that the couple of nematodes that got into the first year's batch would multiply and/or call in more of their friends every following season. So now I'm happy to get them at the grocer. Even the fruit trees I planted mostly feed the squirrels and rats so I'm not planting any more of those.

Do you find growing them in pots keeps the nematodes and slugs away?

When I first started gardening I grew strawberries at the front of bed in the ground for multiple years in the same place. Found out that the couple of nematodes that got into the first year's batch would multiply and/or call in more of their friends every following season. So now I'm happy to get them at the grocer. Even the fruit trees I planted mostly feed the squirrels and rats so I'm not planting any more of those.

Yes, pots seem to work better. We originally had them in the raised garden, but the slugs and some other insects were hard to control. Never had any issue with nematodes.

I'm curious. Slugs would be visible. How did you know you had a nematode problem?

Our strawberry patch is separated by about five feet from the blueberry-bush section. Though we've built up the topsoil organically, the natural mineral soil in there is sand/silt. We don't seem to see many slugs or snails in there.

Back