Food and Nutrition in Assisted Living Communities

GAlady

I live in a very nice upscale Assisted Living in Georgia and pay very hefty rent each month. I have lived here for over two years. Usual everyday problems come an go and eventually get solved. But the one problem that will never be solved is Dining Services.

I have seen four different Food Directors while living here. The present one has been here about six months. Her previous employer was a Juvenile Detention Center.🥺 She is used to feeding teenagers and she wants to keep feeding us the same menu. She is suppose to be follow the corporation guidelines that manage. And she is suppose to take suggestions from the residents. She refuses to listen to us. We a”ways had a weekly food chat before she came. But she somehow convinced management to do it once a month. They just hired a new Executive Director three weeks ago and he seems to let her have free rein also.

I would love to hear from others about their experiences with I call it Institution Dining.

Keep at it. Organize. Telling your families is condescending, like you old folks don't know nuthin'. Highly insulting IMO.
Exactly. Our families and the whole staff are from the two previous generations.
A lot of the residents do not have enough family or incapable of “pitching a fit” like I am. My family can always rescue me or I can call Door Dash. But I should not have to resort to that. It makes us feel helpless. With the staff here, it is eat it, shut up or starve.

I worked in one about 10/15 years back. Just for a few months. I worked in the kitchen. Not as a cook, but I set tables, poured drinks, helped serve. And did dishes. I was not the only one....there were usually two of us on plus the cook. Aides from the floor also helped serve,
Menus came from the State..whoever is in charge of Nursing home/Assisted Living center meals

:) Institutional food is notoriously of the worst quality. Eat lightly, take supplements. Order organic food delivered if possible.
This. ⬆️

For the amount of money these facilities charge, you shouldn't have to go to the additional expense of buying edible food elsewhere. Dietary health is extremely important. There's no excuse why they shouldn't be able to provide healthy, appetizing food! It's a disgrace!

@GAlady - You and the other residents might want to consider writing reviews on some of the assisted living sites. Most reviews that you'll find aren't written by the residents, but I don't know why you couldn't write a review of what it's like to live there, seeing as you're actually a resident. Who would know better than you? Do a Google search and check it out.

Check out this article, it might be helpful or at least a starting point.

Assisted Living Reviews, Ratings & Code Violations

:) Institutional food is notoriously of the worst quality. Eat lightly, take supplements. Order organic food delivered if possible.
I’ll agree completely with hospital foods however I’ve recently checked out some independent seniors places and the ones with the luxurious prices promise to have decedent gourmet meals to satisfy any palette.

That’s Joes Corner Diner food. I’d be complaining to the top manager and if nothing changes, go above her.

OR you could really make a point by getting everyone who gets served a meal at the table, one by one chuck the plate, meal and all in the finished section. Either that or wait until everyone is served and all get up at once and leave with all the food untouched.

🤔 I’m a tad devious! 🤭

This. ⬆️

For the amount of money these facilities charge, you shouldn't have to go to the additional expense of buying edible food elsewhere. Dietary health is extremely important. There's no excuse why they shouldn't be able to provide healthy, appetizing food! It's a disgrace!

@GAlady - You and the other residents might want to consider writing reviews on some of the assisted living sites. Most reviews that you'll find aren't written by the residents, but I don't know why you couldn't write a review of what it's like to live there, seeing as you're actually a resident. Who would know better than you? Do a Google search and check it out.

That’s a good idea. Write so many each day and don’t stop until you see changes.
The very fact that this cook doesn’t want to hear from the people she’s cooking for speaks volumes. Any good cook wants nothing more than to have people enjoy their food. You seniors pay good money and should be able to get the standard of food that you paid for.

Ew. My question is how the heck did she get teens to eat that stuff?

I like the idea of waiting until everyone has been served, then leaving the food on the table untouched! Then...everybody pitch in for Door Dash from somewhere great like Marietta Diner or Casa Grande or Pasta Bella. That should send the message.

Is there a tenant's association of some sort? If not, would you post a generic suggestion on a community site for you guys to meet-up and see where it leads?
No tenant’s association. Just a Residents Meeting with the Executive Director every four months. Some of us has tried to organize a protest of some kind. But most of the Residents are happy here except for the food just like me. They are scared their families will move them.

This. ⬆️

I have posted negative views several times.

I have no experience with Assisted Living facilities however, I did have a one week stay in a nursing home after a hospitalization . The brochure for the nursing home sounded good with food service, maid service and laundry service all delivered to your room. The food was horrible. One morning breakfast was just a bowl of dry, cold cream of wheat with one of those take-and-bake rolls that had never been baked. They lost my laundry and maid service was rude and inefficient. No more nursing homes for me. I’m staying in my house with a housekeeper.
Here is a link to a book about Assisted Living Facilities titled Who Will Take Care of Me When I'm Old? Select “Listen” in small blue letters under the book title on the left of the webpage. It tells of poor treatment from an administrator of an Assisted Living facility toward a resident.
Who Will Take Care of Me When I'm Old?: Loverde, Joy: 9780738219639: Amazon.com: Books

We used to have dinner with my late mother-in-law at the residence she was in. The
food was good. Perhaps the places with "high rent" serve better food?

The Japanese senior's home that my sister's m-i-l is in, has the most delicious food. People go there for special occasions.
I am paying high rent.

Back